When you purchase your new phone from a cell provider, it will most probably come locked. That means you cannot use any other network provider’s SIM in that device. This software is also right for all AT&T phones. AT&T Inc. is an American multinational conglomerate holding company. It is the world’s largest telecommunication company and largest provider of mobile telephone service. Having a locked phone is bothersome, and it restricts the freedom of choosing from different network providers. In this article, we will discuss How to Unlock AT&T Phone to Work on GSM Network.
You can guess why companies like AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint lock their device with their network modules. It’s all for business. No company would like to lose consumers, and they will do and go to any length to prevent losing customers. So, in this case, the phone locks the phone with the default SIM, and for that, no other network provider’s SIM works on the device.
You know there is always a solution to all problems. Just like that, you can unlock the AT & T Phone to Work on another GSM Network. After reading this article, I hope you will be able to unlock any AT&T Android or iOS devices.
Before starting let us go through some important things –
What is the difference between a Locked vs. Unlocked Phone?
The primary difference between a locked and an unlocked AT&T device is the software code. A locked device’s software code prevents other network providers from functioning on that device. At the same time, an unlocked phone supports any GSM providers and works fine worldwide.
What are the benefits of an unlocked AT&T Phone?
Perhaps the most obvious benefit is that if you have ATT unlock the device, you can use any GSM provider to make calls or messages. With ATT unlocking a locked iPhone, you can easily switch between the network carriers. With an unlocked phone, you will not have to follow the infuriating terms and conditions. And the network provider will not be able to force you to sign a contract to use your device.
Know your ATT device: GSM and CDMA
It is crucial to know what type of network technology the phone is using before unlocking and switching the network. There are two types of technologies called CDMA and GSM. And they are not compatible with one another. Both technologies are used in the USA. For instance, Sprint and Verizon use CDMA.
On the other hand, AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM. So you cannot use the Verizon network on AT&T mobile and vice versa. But you can switch between AT&T and T-Mobile.
However, a few phones like iPhone 7 Verizon and International models, Nexus 6/ 6p/ 5x, Pixel 1/2/3 that work on both CDMA and GSM. But no AT&T devices support both CDMA and GSM. So choose your network carefully before unlocking your device.
What will you need to unlock AT&T iPhone and Android devices?
The procedure and difficulty of unlocking a mobile device, whether it is an iPhone or Android, vary from carrier to carrier. While the process may vary from carrier to carrier, the standard list of information you generally need to unlock an iPhone or Android is the same. So before starting to unlock AT&T device, you should have this following information-
- The account holder’s name and account number;
- The account holder’s Social Security number/ password;
- IMEI or MEID number of the said ATT phone or tablet;
- Your Mobile number;
- The completed contract papers and device payment plan with AT&T;
- If you are in the military personnel deployed outside the USA and you wish to unlock your AT&T phone before your contract is up. Then you will additionally need the overseas deployment papers.
- And explicit consent of the company you work if it is a business device.
The IMEI or MEID number of your AT&T iPhone
The International Mobile Equipment Identity or IMEI number is a unique identification id for mobile devices. You can easily find your device’s IMEI number by dialing *#06# on your phone. Insert the numbers on your dial pad and press to call. The IMEI number will be visible on the screen.
Is it legal to SIM unlock a cell phone under contract?
Unlocking a phone locked by a network provider is not illegal. Many companies lock their devices under contract papers or installment payment plans. And if you unlock the phone without informing the network provider, you are violating the contract paper under this situation. It is like an unpaid debt if you unlock the device and don’t honor the contract paper.
But legally speaking, the network providers are not bound to unlock your device as requested. Because there is no law regarding this and if a company refuses to unlock a device, the customer can only file a complaint to the FCC (Federal Communications Commission). This process will have no result as the FCC has no binding authority over the carrier providers. So, in short, it can be said there is no law to mandate unlocking.
Whereas there was a law called the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (DMCA) that prohibits “unauthorized removal or modification of cell phone access controls,” and the carrier lock technically falls under ‘cell phone access controls’.
But in August 2014, there was an Act passed by the Obama administration titled the Unlocking Consumer Choice and Wireless Competition Act, which nullified the DMCA and made it legal to unlock mobile phones by the consumers.
So now, it is legal to unlock your phone by any means as long as it does not violate any company policy and state law.
Unlock AT&T Phone to Work on another GSM Network
Now we have learned about the basics, so let us start how to Unlock AT&T Phone to Work on another GSM Network. There are two or three ways to unlock ATT devices.
AT&T Official Device Unlock Instructions
This process is the safest and most reliable way to unlock your AT&T phones and tablets to work with another GSM network provider. AT&T offers its customer a form to fill if they want to unlock AT&T devices. Five unsuccessful unlock attempts will permanently lock the device to the AT&T network. Here is the process of unlocking your ATT phones-
Request an Unlock ATT code
To request an unlock code, visit att.com/deviceunlock to review the requirements and fill-up the form to submit an AT&T Mobile Device Unlock request. The requests will usually take up to three to five business days to process and complete.
After you have submitted the request for an ATT unlock code, you can view your status here att.com/deviceunlockstatus to begin the next step.
After filling the form, you will get an email with a link. Click on the link that was in the confirmation email to request the unlock process.
AT&T branded devices only
Make sure that the device you are willing to unlock is an AT&T device because the official website allows AT&T devices only. To know if it is an AT&T device, check for the AT&T logo on the device (above the display, on the back, or under the battery).
Follow the instruction carefully
Always remember to follow the instructions properly for devices.
Once you have received the unlock code from AT&T confirming the unlock request then follow these steps
- Remove the ATT SIM card and insert the new GSM SIM card.
- Then complete the setup process.
- Turn off the device and remove the AT&T SIM card.
- Insert the non-ATT GSM-card.
- Power on the device and wait a few minutes.
- Enter the ATT unlock code when prompted.
- Press OK. The device is now unlocked.
For these models:
- Turn off the device and remove the ATT SIM card.
- Next, switch on the device without a SIM card.
- Enter #7465625*638*, the unlock code, and #. (No space)
- Note: After the first *, the rest of the sequence does not display on the screen.
- After a successful unlock, “Network Lock Deactivated” will be displayed on the screen.
For these models (Samsung A127, C207, D307, D347, D357, D407, D807, E316, N625, X507)
- First, switch off the device and remove the SIM card
- Then power on the device.
- Press #0111*, the unlock code, and #.
- The device will restart, and it is now unlocked.
Samsung ATIV Smart PC Tablet XE500T1C-HA1US, XE700T1A
- Power off the device and remove the SIM card.
- Insert a new SIM card from another wireless carrier.
- Turn on the device.
- Tap AT&T ‘All Access’ button on the start menu screen.
- Enter the unlock code when prompted and select unlock the device. Your device is now unlocked.
All other Samsung nonsmartphone models
- Power off the device and remove the battery to insert a new non-ATT SIM card.
- Reinstall the battery and turn on the device.
- The screen will show ‘’Enter the device unlock code’’.
- Type in the unlock code and press OK.
- Insert a non-AT&T SIM card after removing the ATT SIM card.
- Turn on the device.
- The device will display “Phone locked. Please insert a valid SIM card.”
- Select to unlock (left soft key on the phone).
- The device displays, “Please enter the network unlock code (16 digits).”
- Enter the 16-digit unlock code.
- Select OK (left soft key).
- Finally, select OK to reset the device.
Using Third-party Service providers like CELLUNLOCKER®
CELLUNLOCKER® is a device unlocking service provider. They can unlock any device. Their process is simple, and you don’t have to take your mobile to anyone. You can perform the unlocking sitting in your house. They charge a small amount of fee for their unlocking. Unlocking a device through CELLUNLOCKER® is 100% legal and does not void your device’s warranty or affect the network plan. You can unlock the following AT&T iPhone, Samsung, Nokia, Blackberry, HTC, LG, Sony Xperia, Doro, Cat, ZTE, Huawei phones.
- To start the process, visit CELLUNLOCKER® and fill up the information form.
- It will take 24-72 days to process your request and search for an unlock code for your AT&T device.
- Their automated system will then provide you with an unlock code and process to follow to unlock the device.
- Follow the instructions on the email to unlock the ATT device.
Here are some other reliable third-party service providers to help you Unlock AT&T devices, DoctorSIM, MobileUnlocked, UnlockBase, UnlockUnit, UnlockRiver &Unlock Radar.
Using Free Software to Unlock AT&T
There is some renowned phone unlocking software like Royal Techno. They provide you with a free downloadable PC software to unlock any phone, including AT&T devices. This type of software is best suited for people who have their own phone unlocking business or service. With this software, you can unlock more than one device at once. With just a few steps, you can unlock an AT&T device with its software.
- Install the software on your PC.
- Open the software and log in to your account. The account is free to create.
- Click on the Unlocks tab.
- Click on the Unlock button from the top left corner.
- Insert the IMEI number(s) of your device.
- Click on the Save button.
- Wait for two to five minutes to let the software perform the unlock (s).
Some other software providers to unlock AT&T devices, Iboxstore, Soft112, arsTECHNICA.
Google Play Device Unlock App
There is an App on the Play store for only AT&T android devices that can help you to unlock AT&T Phone to Work on another GSM Network. AT&T Services, Inc. provides the App, but the app works for specific devices only.
Remember, not all branded models are supported for this android app. And it only works for AT&T Prepaid customers.
Title: AT&T Device Unlock
Size: 3.1 MB.
Requires Android: 4.4 and up.
An unlocked AT&T phone opens the door of network carrier freedom. I hope this article will help you to unlock your AT&T phone to work on another GSM network. But always remember to read and follow the service provider’s policy to avoid harming your mobile device.
I just switched to AT