The standard for the exchange of product data or STEP file is an ISO standard exchange format to work with three-dimensional data. It is used to design 3D diagrams. To view, rotate, move, and zoom the 3D diagram, we use a step file viewer. Because it can deal with *.stp and *.step file format; moreover, it can convert STP to DWG, OBJ, DXF, and STL formats.
What is a STEP File?
STEP file is a data exchange form of computer-aided design (CAD) and related information. It follows the ASCII structure, so it is straightforward to read. 3D graphics use STP file extension, and it is defined in ISO 10303-21.
A STEP file is also known as p21 file and STEP physical file. It has various extensions like .stp, .step and .p21 whereas .p21 is used for different purposes. It can be recognized by many programs like IMSI TurboCAD, Autodesk Fusion 360, and Dassault System Solidworks.
Why use STEP Viewers?
All the CAD systems are not similar. So, in the CAD industry, it is challenging to share 3D diagrams and models among different users. STEP File Viewer software solves this problem. It can open the files which have .stp and .step extensions. It is used for some reasons which are as follow:
- STEP is used for the worldwide data exchange program
- All the popular computer-aided design (CAD) software support this platform.
- It is mathematically based so it can be imported into CAM software.
- Any reputed CAD software can read a neutral file format.
Limitations of STEP
- STEP file is a combination of color, curve, solid, surface, etc. so if the targeted software is unable to read the geometry of STEP, then it may create problems.
- The designer has to be more conscious to ensure the geometry is correctly generated to support another type of file format.
Best 15 STEP File Viewer Software
We have tried to manage Best 15 STEP File Viewer Online Free for the readers. Please remember all are not free for full time. You are allowed to use some of the Free STEP File Viewer for a limited time. However, there is some software which is really free to use.
1. GOM Inspect STEP File Viewer
GOM Inspect is one of the best STEP file viewer and STP file viewer. To see the STEP files, you have to create a new project in this software. You can edit the files as per your requirement.
GOM offers two types of products, which are GOM Inspect and GOM Precessional. It is a free step file viewer, but some features are under the pro version. Moreover, the pro version offers you a 30 days free trial.
Insight of GOM
- GOM measures data in the independent system.
- It can perform mesh processing.
- According to standard requirements, it supports inspection and evaluation of various points’ surfaces and curves.
- It offers industry-specific analysis tools like inspection of sheet metals, cast parts, etc.
- The reporting functions of the GOM are vibrant. It can export as PDF.
- You can Download the GOM STEP viewer free.
2. VariCAD Viewer Free
VariCAD Viewer is another magnificent step viewer free to view CAD, convert, and print. It is a powerful STEP file viewer but affordable to manage. In your mathematical engineering, you can use this 2D/3D software. Before going to any purchasing decision, you can use this software free for 30 days that will fulfill your requirement.
Insight of VariCAD Viewer Free
- VariCAD Viewer is very fast to use and provides everything you need in mechanical engineering.
- It is free for converting free 3D STEP, 2D DWG, DXF, and 3D/2D VariCAD file formats.
- It allows you to convert DWG to DXF and DXF to DWG.
- 3D displays can be exported into a bitmap file.
- In the 3D model, you can calculate volume, mass, surface area, and center of gravity.
EnSuite-View is an excellent productivity tool to view multi-CAD. You can use it for the STEP file viewer. It supports many file formats, and within a month, you are allowed to get a maximum of 5 file processing.
Insight of EnSuite-View
- EnSuite-View is very easy to use software that views all major CAD formats.
- Without any license, you can see the STEP files.
- There is an option to see the front, back, left, right, and isometric view.
- You can use it for creating references, creating annotations, and managing metadata.
- It is easy to measure volume/weight, length/radius, distance/angle with this software.
- Moreover, creating a bounding box, building sections, applying the material, and changing appearances become easy.
4. Geomagic Verify Viewer
Geomagic Verify Viewer is one of the best software for your entire digital manufacturing workflow. In engineering and manufacturing, it can deliver digital 3D models and CAD assemblies. You can zoom, flip, and rotate the STP files as your way. So it is considered as one of the best STEP file viewers to see CAD files. Moreover, it is straightforward and freeware.
Insight of Geomagic Verify Viewer
- Geomagic Verify Viewer allows you to annotate and measure distances angles.
- You can verify various CAD, point cloud, and mesh models.
- It also allows you to see the left, right, top, bottom, front, back, and isometric of any CAD image.
- You can add different colors for more customization.
5. AUTODESK 123D DESIGN (Paid)
AUTODESK 123D DESIGN is straightforward and easy to use STEP viewer software that can perform many sophisticated jobs. It can fulfill the requirement of designing of beginners to professionals. Like other STP viewers, you also can resize, scale, pan, zoom, move, rotate, align, orbit, fit with this excellent software.
Insight of AUTODESK 123D DESIGN
- AUTODESK 123D DESIGN allows you to export both 2D and 3D with the STP file viewer.
- You can export 2D as SVG, DXF, and DWG and export 3D as X3D, STL, SAT, DWG, DXF files.
- It supports various options like combine, grouping, snap, and patterns.
- You can apply multiple construction parameters like extrude, sweep, and revolve.
- It is one of the ideal STP file viewers for engineering and manufacturing.
6. GMSH STEP File Viewer
GMSH is a straightforward and open source STEP File viewer for Desktop and laptop. This free step file viewer supports all the operating systems like Windows, Linux, Mac OS, etc. including 32-bit and 64-bit. You can open and customize your 3D files very efficiently with this software. Moreover, GMSH is lightweight, user-friendly, and supports all the features of STEP software.
Insight of GMSH
- GMSH is fast, simple, and free software.
- It supports Windows, Mac OS, and Linux.
- This software allows four types of modules, like solver, mesh, geometry, and post-processing.
- This free software can fulfill all of your needs for 3D design.
7. gCAD3D STEP File Viewer
gCAD3D another freeware STP file viewer for Windows and Linux operating systems. This integrated 3D-OpenGL Viewer supports various file formats to import and export. Moreover, you can view STEP, Iges, VRML, DXF, SVG, and many other file formats.
Insight of gCAD3D
- gCAD3D is one of the best free STEP viewers.
- It also allows you to see various view options like side, axo, top, front, scal.all, scal.fix, and viewport.
- It is under the GNU General Public License.
- gCAD3D is easy to use and customize.
8. Sharecad.org Free Online CAD Viewer
Sharecad.org is one of the best free online CAD viewers that can open different types of STEP files. It allows all the browsers so that you can see your preferred file from Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, and iPhone. It supports DWF, HPGL, PLT, CGM, AutoCAD® DWG, and DXF.
Insight of Sharecad.org Free Online CAD Viewer
- Sharecad.org supports a free iframe plugin to view files from your website.
- After the registration, you can store the file on the server.
- You can access previously loaded files from your PC.
- You can also use it as a file repository.
- Maximum 50 MB files are allowed to upload on this system.
- It is excellent to see 3D Smooth Shading,3D Hidden Lines, and 3D Wireframe.
- The navigation and uses of this software are straightforward.
9. Autodesk Viewer
Autodesk Viewer is one of the best online STEP File viewers who will give you satisfaction and comfort. You can easily view and share your design with the help of any browser. It supports almost all 3D and 2D formats, including the STEP file and SOLIDWORKS. You can easily share your design with the URL or print it if you think it is essential. Moreover, you can take the screenshot and send it to your friend’s email.
Insight of Autodesk viewer
- Autodesk Viewer allows you to measure distances from different positions.
- You can use zoom in and out to view various angles.
- In the separate box, you can see the file properties.
- Sharing your presentation is very easy because you can use the URL, screenshot, and print.
- You can annotate any file for markup.
- It is a very simple, STEP file viewer.
10. 3D Viewer Online
3D Viewer Online is their excellent website to see STEP files. You will get up to 5 GB of free cloud storage to store your STEP files. You can add various files like OBJ, PLY, STL, etc. The maximum limit for you is 50 MB. To generate the value for your customer, you can integrate with 3D viewer Web API. 3D Viewer Online supports most 2D and 3D file formats.
Insight of 3D Viewer Online
- You can show and hide smart lines with this Viewer.
- You can take a screenshot easily of your work.
- It is effortless to define X Y and z cutting planes.
- Up to 50 MB STEP file upload facility.
- You are allowed to see various change view modes.
IDA-STEP is free software to see the STEP file. It is very user friendly and customizable. You can see any part of your 3D model independently. It offers a different perspective to manage .stp and .step files. Like the other STEP viewer, it also supports left, right, back, bottom, and front view.
12. GLC Player STEP File Viewer
GLC Player is a very prominent software to see 2D and 3D models. It supports all the functions and file formats. So it is called multi-functional freeware. The professionals use this handy software because the outcome of this free STEP Viewer is perfect and meaningful. It supports 3D visualization of various formats like 3DXML V3 & V4 (Ascii), STL (Ascii + binary), OBJ and 3DS.
13. STL View
The beginner who has very little knowledge of handling 3D or CAD can use the STL View software. You can fulfill your fundamental needs with the STP viewer. It is very lightweight and flexible to handle. So to perform the essential functions of STEP files, the STL View is excellent. You can download directly from the recommended source, and it will automatically download zip files.
14. STP Viewer
STP Viewer is another simple and easy to use CAD software. It allows you to tree view of all 3D object markers. With the toolbox or mouse, you will get a dynamic zooming facility. You can view 2D and all the sides of 3D with this powerful tool. Moreover, you can change the color of the lines and view wireframes.
15. Open 3D Model Viewer
Open 3D Model Viewer is another interesting productivity tool to work with STEP files. For your 3D design and printing, it can be an awesome one. This STEP file viewer can also fulfill all of your requirements, including designing, viewing, and managing stp files. Open 3D Model Viewer is open source and free of cost to use.
Some Other Recommended STEP File Viewer
In our list, we have provided some of the best online step file viewers and free step file viewers for Desktop. But there is a lot of software for the same purpose. You can have the list of your collection.
|FreeCAD (Free)||Fusion 360 ( Paid)||Inventor (Paid)|
|Onshape (Paid)||DraftSight (Paid)||IrfanView (Paid)|
|Autodesk DWG TrueView ( Paid)||Autodesk 360 (Paid)||ACTCAD Professional (Paid)|
|LibreCAD (Paid)||QCAD||Design Review|
|DWG Viewer 2.0||3D-Tool File Viewer||CDS ModelServer|
|SpinFire Ultimate||Creo View Express||DWG FastView Plus|
|Bentley View||DWGSeePloView||3D Analyzer|
STEP files are challenging for the newbies. If you do not have any previous experience, you will have a high pain to use and manage those files. But, with the help of a free step file viewer, you can open and see the design. Moreover, if you don’t want to download any software, you can use an online step file viewer.