Horror is one of the most prevalent genres in all forms of media. It is proven by the sheer popularity of it in pop culture. But amongst all these forms of media, the horror genre’s absolute terror is most effectively translated into video games. The immersive nature of video games provides the players with an authentic horror experience. From the earlier survival horror titles such as “Alone in the Dark,” it was evident that horror games for pc would climb the staggering ladder of popularity and solidify their position in gaming.
With the growth of technology, developers have been able to provide more realistic horrifying visuals and implement better gameplay mechanics for an overall better videogame experience. Today, we will go through some of the finest titles of the genre, which will surely quench the thirst for the terror of any ardent horror fan. The video games mentioned in this article will cover all forms of horror video games so that the readers can choose the titles best suited to them. So, without further ado, let’s get into the 50 scary games for pc that you can play in 2023.
Horror Games For P.C.
The following list is in no particular order. A healthy variety of scary games for pc has been included. While most of these video games contain single-player campaigns, some of these titles are multiplayer scary games for pc, and other entries are co-op horror games that can be enjoyed with friends.
Our first entry on this list is the 2013 first-person survival horror spectacle. The atmosphere this game creates with its eerie visuals is genuinely remarkable. The gameplay mechanics are elementary as it lacks any form of combat, which creates a true sense of vulnerability amongst the players. The view is restricted by implementing a night vision camcorder, which slowly consumes the battery. The player must run or hide in specific places to escape gruesome deaths from the deranged creatures roaming free on the asylum premises.
The players take on the role of Miles Upshur, an investigative journalist investigating the “Mount Massive Asylum.” Only to find that it has been overrun by deranged and deformed creatures known as “variants.” He must investigate further and uncover the hidden truth about this facility.
- Contains a unique and eerie atmosphere.
- Lack of combat creates a sense of vulnerability.
- The restricted view through a camcorder invokes paranoia.
- This game contains a rich and engaging narrative.
- Creates the aesthetic of found footage films.
2. Dead Space 2
Dead Space 2 is the sequel to the much-beloved E.A. title Dead Space. It takes the formula of its predecessor and improves heavily on it. This is a third-person sci-fi survival horror video game like the first Dead Space. While retaining most of the gameplay mechanics of its first entry, minor tweaks have been implemented to put a polish on an already stellar gameplay experience. An additional multiplayer feature called “Outbreak mode” has been introduced, making Dead Space 2 one of the multiplayer horror games for pc.
The story of Dead Space 2 picks up three years after the first game’s events. Follow Isaac Clarke as he struggles to fight through a new horde of Necromorphs on the sprawl space station. It manages to balance both the action and horror elements perfectly.
- Features a new multiplayer mode.
- This game contains a well-created sci-fi setting.
- Accommodates a good mixture of horror and sci-fi elements.
- It contains challenging gameplay that engages the players.
3. The Walking Dead
Perhaps the unique entry on this list, The Walking Dead, is more reminiscent of a tv show than anything. The game is based on the popular comic book series of the same name. The Walking Dead is mainly narrative-driven, as most gameplay comprises choice base action and quick-time events.
You play as a convict, Lee Everett, as he is being taken to prison in a police car until the car crashes, and you find yourself amidst a zombie outbreak. You find a little girl named Clementine abandoned in a house, and now you must help her to safety. The story continues as you meet a plethora of different characters.
- This game is incredibly narrative-driven.
- Features a wide range of choices and different outcomes.
- Contains a more realistic and grounded form of horror elements.
- Retains its comic book charms through cell-shaded visuals.
4. Friday the 13th: The Game
If you ever want to live out your favorite slasher horror movie fantasy, this game is for you. Based on the popular horror movie franchise “Friday the 13th,” this game is a survival horror video game. Amongst the few multiplayer horror games for pc, this game is one of the better ones.
In this game, you play as Jason Vorhees or any camp counselor. While playing as Jason, the objective is to hunt down all the other players before leaving the camp. When you are playing as the other characters, your objective is to avoid the gruesome deaths at hand, Jason, and escape the campsite.
- Creates an authentic slasher movie experience.
- This game has impressive visuals.
- Creates a fun multiplayer experience.
5. F.E.A.R. Horror Games For P.C.
F.E.A.R. is a first-person survival horror game. Although there are many other entries to choose from in this franchise, the first one takes precedence over the others. This game is more action-oriented while also keeping the horror themes intact. The shooting mechanics and the bullet time effect of F.E.A.R. are incredibly satisfying.
You play as a member of F.E.A.R., a fictional task force. While shooting enemies, you are constantly followed by a creepy little girl. The movement of the shadows and the sudden appearance of the little girl invokes a sense of paranoia among the players. A well-detailed environment also adds to the horror of this game.
- Has great shooting mechanics.
- Features heavily action-oriented gameplay.
- Produces beautiful shadow effects.
6. Doki Doki Literature Club!
Doki Doki Literature Club! It is an oddity. Based on the first look, it might appear just another high school dating simulator, but you couldn’t be more wrong. Underneath all the colorful visuals and cute high school girls lies something much more sinister, which becomes evident as you play along.
The game takes place in a high school setting. The story progresses as you interact with the characters of the game. You will receive one of the three possible endings depending on your choices and interactions.
- Contains extremely colorful visuals.
- This game contains underlying dark themes.
- Features multiple endings.
7. State of Decay
State of Decay is an open-world survival horror game. The most prominent aspect of this game is building bases and managing resources, which creates a truly immersive zombie apocalypse setting. The game’s main objective is survival in this zombie-ridden world by gathering resources and recruiting survivors.
The gameplay features are well-polished, and the open-world sandbox is surprisingly detailed and fun to explore. The well-crafted environment and the day-night cycle enhance the experience. The lack of multiplayer mode is the only thing holding back this game from ely reaching perfection.
- Features an intricated base-building system and resource management.
- This game has a sizeable open-world sandbox that is fun to explore.
- Contains a variety of RPG Games elements.
8. Five Nights at Freddy’s
Five Nights at Freddy’s is a video game title that needs no introduction. This indie horror title took the world by storm and spawned a successful franchise. The sheer impact of this game on pop culture is unfathomable. The horror theme of this game is specific yet incredibly bizarre and borderline creepy.
The game takes place at a Chuck E. Cheese-Esque restaurant, where you play as a security guard. At night time, the horrifying animatronics gain sentience. The game utilizes a first-person perspective, where you must use security cameras to stay vigilant and defend yourself from the animatronic monstrosity.
- The theme of the game creates a genuinely unsettling experience.
- Features well-placed and unexpected jump-scares.
- The restricted first-person point of view adds to the game’s horror elements.
9. Dying Light
Dying Light is an open-world first-person survival horror game. The game takes place in a zombie-ridden open world, but unlike most video games, this game features some of the most vicious and agile zombies. Instead of fighting the zombies head-on, the better strategy is to flee or take a stealth approach. Dying Light creates an element of exhilaration through the implementation of parkour moves.
In this game, you play as an undercover agent who infiltrates a sealed-off part of the city. Dying Light is also one of the few co-op horror games for pc, which means you can play with up to four friends.
- This game contains a fluid parkour system.
- Features a multiplayer co-op mode.
- Supports beautiful visuals and an incredibly detailed world.
10. Inside Horror Games For P.C.
Inside is a 2D side-scrolling platformer horror game. The gameplay mainly comprises puzzle-based platforming, while at other times, you try to evade being captured and killed by deranged humanoid creatures and deadly machinery. This game features some unique and beautifully creepy art styles and visuals.
You play as a young boy stranded in a dystopian world. The world appears filled with disturbing creatures, lethal apparatuses, and fatal obstacles. The player must overcome all of these without any combat abilities.
- This game features some beautiful visuals.
- Contains some truly remarkable character designs.
- Features intuitive platforming gameplay.
11. Slender: The Eight Pages
The shortest game on this list, Slender: The Eight Pages, is one of the few free horror games for pc. So, you can download this horror game for pc. The brilliance of this game lies in its impermanence. The game is played from a first-person point of view. The game boasts some great visuals for an indie game.
The player finds himself in a dark forest where he must scavenge for the eight-page titular. The horror of this game comes from being stalked continuously by an anorexic deranged figure known as the slender man.
- Contains some unsettling audio effects.
- This game is based on the popular creepy-pasta figure, Slender Man.
- A concise yet terrifying experience.
Search is the most trippy and surreal experience in a video game. This psychological horror is sure to unsettle even those with nerves of steel. This title, created by Rockstar Games, has its fair share of controversy for featuring excessive gore and graphic violence.
The game lets you play as a murderous toxic while brutally murdering gang members. The game shows these kills with vigorous details. The true horror of this game is the atrocities that the player himself commits.
- This game contains multiple innovative ways to kill enemies.
- Features are challenging stealth-based gameplay.
- Notorious for being banned in multiple countries.
13. Blair Witch
It is based on the movie franchise of the same title. Blair Witch is a first-person survival horror game with great visuals and immersive gameplay. The subtle and detailed background noises in the Forest recreate the horror of the original movies. The gameplay mainly involves exploring the Forest and piecing out the story.
The game centers around Ellis Lynch as he joins the search party for a missing child. He and his canine companion, Bullet, go into the Forest, and the game begins. The game also pays homage to its source material, including cassette tapes, which you can watch on his camcorder. This theme of the game creates the aesthetic of a found-footage horror movie.
- This game is a faithful adaptation of the source material.
- Contains an incredibly detailed world.
- Features the aesthetic of a found-footage horror movie.
14. Resident Evil 2: Remake
Without featuring some entries from the much-beloved Capcom franchise, this list would be incomplete. Based on the well-optimized RE engine, this game boasts some of the most realistic visuals in gaming. This game is the remake of a stellar entry in the entire franchise.
Like the original, Players can choose between the two playable campaigns of either Leon or Claire. The new and improved gameplay and combat mechanics satisfies both the veteran and more casual players. The intensively detailed dark environments and intuitively challenging gameplay create a horrifying experience. Hearing Mr. X’s footsteps approaching you as you struggle to find the right way will fill you with dread.
- This game features some of the most realistic visuals in all of gaming.
- Very well optimized and therefore runs on lower-end devices very well.
- It Contains two playable single-player campaigns.
15. Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a first-person horror game. Unlike most entries on this list, this game has a unique setting of a dark castle. The concept of the main protagonist having Amnesia and slowly regaining his memories through flashbacks allures the players to the rich narrative of the game.
The gameplay lacks any means of combat. The player is only equipped with a lantern and other light sources. The game’s sanity meter adds to the diverse gameplay mechanics of this game. This game also features many obstacles, like puzzle games online.
- This game features a unique setting that has been unexplored in gaming.
- Contains a rich narrative.
- This game implements a sanity meter, which creates a surreal experience.
16. Alan Wake Horror Games For PC
Alan Wake is a third-person episodic horror video game. This game’s structure is not unlike a thriller tv series with an intensive focus on the narrative. The gameplay mechanics are pretty simple where you fight against humans and inanimate objects possessed by the darkness with guns and light sources. Brightly lit areas and light sources indicate safety.
The story centers around Alan Wake, a novelist visiting the town of Bright Falls with his wife. The story begins after his wife gets abducted by the forces of darkness. Alan wakes up stranded in the woods a week later, finding darkness-consumed humans.
- This game is intensively narrative-driven.
- Contains highly detailed environments.
- This game is episodic and reminiscent of a thriller tv series.
17. Condemned: Criminal Origins
It is tough to believe how criminally underrated this game is. Condemned: Criminal Origins is a well-crafted first-person psychological horror game with much to offer. The game focuses heavily on melee combat.
You play as Ethan Thomas, an agent. While investigating a crime scene, an unknown assailant kills two officers with Ethan’s gun and shoves him out of a window. After waking up in his apartment, Ethan finds himself being accused of the murder of the two officers. Now he must uncover the mystery of the unknown assailant while running from the law.
- Features a very intuitive melee combat system.
- Instead of using cheap jump-scares, this game uses more situational horror elements.
- Contains well-designed enemy and character models.
18. Left 4 Dead
Amongst the multiplayer horror games for pc, Left 4 Dead is most renowned for its stellar cooperative gameplay mechanics. Left 4 Dead has a simple yet addictive shooting game with a competent zombie A.I., elevating the gameplay to a new level. This game has a plethora of gameplay modes to choose from.
The game has 4 characters from which the player must choose. The game also has multiple enemy classes, from the common infected types to the significantly higher-weight boomers. Players must utilize different techniques and weapons while approaching different enemy types.
- This game contains one of the best multiplayer co-op experiences.
- Features multiple enemy classes.
- This game has many gameplay modes.
19. Alien: Isolation
The most faithful video game adaptation of the popular movie franchise Alien, this game satisfies both ardent fans of the film series and horror game fans. Alien: Isolation is a first-person survival horror video game. This game emphasizes stealth and horror sequences, much like the original film.
The game lets you play as the daughter of the franchise protagonist, Amanda Ripley. Amanda is investigating her mother’s lost ship, where a Xenomorph is roaming free. One of Amanda’s crew members gets impregnated by a face hugger, and disaster ensues.
- This game is a faithful adaptation of the movie franchise.
- Features stealth-oriented gameplay.
- Manages to capture the aesthetic of the original movie successfully.
20. We are Happy Few
This indie horror game is bizarre and creepy from concept to execution. While the game’s visuals may appear surreally charming, the game’s underlying concepts and narrative are incredibly dark.
The game is set in a fictional post world War 2 timeline where society is on the brink of destruction from the overuse of hallucinogenic drugs. We Happy Few is first-person survival horror, but most games involve scavenging for items, crafting, and exploration. The game also incorporates some RPG elements.
- This game has underlying dark themes and concepts.
- Features some beautifully surreal visuals.
- Takes place in a uniquely fictional timeline.
21. S.C.P. Containment Breach
Not many horror games for the pc are free. If you want to download free horror games for pc, look no further. S.C.P. Containment Breach is a fan-made horror game. This first-person horror game contains an extreme environment.
The gameplay heavily focuses on the exploration of randomly generated areas. Roaming these randomly generated areas is some of the most horrifying malicious entities the player must face. The lack of dialogue and voice-over adds to the eeriness of the game.
- This is a free horror game for pc.
- Contains a well-crafted environment.
- Features exploration-based gameplay.
22. Oxenfree Horror Games For P.C.
This indie supernatural-horror title is a visual spectacle. Oxenfree is a 2.5D adventure video game that focuses on exploration and interaction. The game features some great dialogues and voice-overs, which creates a real sense of interaction.
In Oxenfree, you play Alex, a teenage girl on a trip to an island with friends. They soon discover that there is something strange about the island. The story of Oxenfree is incredibly captivating and best experienced first-hand. The relationship dynamics of the group seem authentic and never forced.
- This game has a unique and surreal visual.
- Contains impressive dialogues and voice-overs.
- Features a 2.5D perspective gameplay.
23. Dead by Daylight
This is one of the best multiplayer scary games for pc. Dead by Daylight features impressive visuals and lets the players play out their slasher fantasy. The game has a rich rogues gallery for the players to choose from.
While playing as one of the four survivors, the gameplay takes a third-person point of view. However, playing as the attacker will restrict the player’s vision to the first-person point of view. The game’s sound design gives a nod to retro horror movies.
- This game provides an entertaining multiplayer experience.
- Features two different gameplay styles.
- Creates an authentic slasher experience.
24. The Forest
The Forest is primarily a survival game with horror elements embedded in it. The game is played from a first-person perspective. The game focuses on crafting weapons and building structures in an open-world environment. The Forest has many native hostile figures from which the player must survive.
The game begins with a plane crash with the player in it. A mysterious figure abducts the player’s son. The player finds himself on a forested island on which he must survive and find out the whereabouts of his son.
- This game features a considerable open world worth exploring.
- The crafting and building mechanics of this game are genuinely engaging.
- Contains a narrative worth playing through.
25. System Shock 2
System Shock 2 is a first-person action horror video game. While it may not look as high as some other games on this list, its sheer importance in gaming can’t be neglected. Such intuitive and in-depth gameplay was unseen before this game.
The game takes place on a spaceship called the Von Braun. After waking up from a long cryogenic sleep, the protagonist finds an alien species infiltrating the ship. You must fight your way through the ship and complete the objectives.
- This game has a rich narrative with intuitive gameplay.
- The game incorporates RPG elements.
- Features multiple enemy types.
26. Limbo Horror Games For P.C.
This game is very much in the same vein as Inside. Limbo is a 2D puzzle-based platformer. What strikes out about this game is its dark and bleak visuals, which create a sense of dread within the players. The lack of dialogue and voice-overs adds to the horror factor of the game.
Much like Inside, you play as a helpless young boy in a world full of dangerous creatures and hostile individuals who will hunt you down at any chance. The game’s challenging yet intuitive puzzle-based platforming will captivate any gamer.
- This game has a beautiful yet bleak visual.
- Features intricate puzzle-based platforming.
- Contains well-constructed background noises and audio.
27. Doom 3 Scary Games For P.C.
The series’ most horror-oriented and overlooked entry, Doom 3, has much to offer. After the great success of Doom 2, id Software decided to take the series in a new direction. Instead of the heavily action-based gameplay that the series is known for, Doom 3 adopts more narrative-driven gameplay.
Doom 3’s well-designed environment and slower gameplay create a more authentic horror experience. It was coupled with the fact that it features competent background audio and voice acting work in favor of the game.
- This game focuses more on the horror aspect.
- Features more narrative-driven gameplay.
- It adopts a more survival-horror gameplay mechanic.
Created by the same developers as Amnesia, this game has a lot of striking similarities. While it is not as scary as Amnesia, it has a better game design overall. This features a unique setting of underwater sci-fi locations. A lot of the scary moments in the game are done through subtlety.
Just like Amnesia, this game is played from a first-person perspective. The gameplay is a mixture of enemy evasion and exploration. The game contains a well-crafted environment.
- This game has a unique setting.
- A well-designed game with excellent pacing.
- Features a mysterious narrative-driven plot.
29. Little Nightmares
This little gem of a title is truly something special. The most striking feature of this game is the beautiful animation. Very much like Limbo and Inside, this game is a puzzle platformer. The outstanding level designs and character models are genuinely praise-worthy.
In Little Nightmares, you play as a yellow raincoat-draped little girl. The game occurs on a ship-like vessel inhabited by morbidly higher-weight and massive creatures. These creatures will hunt you down at any given chance.
- Features beautiful animation and character models.
- A unique, loosely narrative-driven gameplay.
- Incredible and intricate level designs.
30. Metro Exodus
Metro Exodus is a first-person horror game with an emphasis on shooting. Unlike other Metro games, this entry supports semi-open-world sandboxes while retaining the details that the franchise is known for. This game boasts some beautifully realistic visuals.
The Metro series has a rich narrative and a wonderfully crafted world of lore and mythos. This game continues this tradition while also contributing new elements to the rich narrative of the series. Metro Exodus has some of the most intense horrifying moments in the franchise.
- This game has some tremendously realistic visuals.
- Features semi-open-world sandboxes.
- Retains the original tone of the series.
31. Darkwood Horror Games For PC
From the get-go, it is pretty clear that you are in for a rough time. Darkwood is played from a top-down camera angle and has a very restrictive view. The muddy visuals of this game perfectly blend in with the environment.
This game contains many bizarre images and concepts. The game has many survival elements, from finding shelter at night to scavenging for resources. For most of the game, you play as a man called “The Stranger.” Searching for a key to open the passageway out of the woods would be best.
- The game has a mysterious narrative.
- Features many survival elements.
- This game has an intricate combat system.
32. Pathologic 2
This surreal horror game is highly dialogue-based and story-driven. The depressing tone and the setting of this game invoke dread among players. The gameplay is quite linear, with essential combat elements and the incorporation of survival mechanics.
The plot of the game is not told overtly. Instead, it scattered throughout the town. The player must explore the town and interact with the inhabitants to find quests and progress through the story.
- This game has a depressing setting.
- Features are heavy dialogue gameplay.
- Contains visually creepy images.
33. Horror Games For P.C.: Control
Control is visually stunning with its realistic graphics. This game provides a fast-paced, intuitive, and fun action game. The addition of telekinetic powers in the gameplay makes it shine. The game is theatrical, with its presentation of the narrative.
In this game, you play Jesse Faden, the director of FBC. FBC is a fictional bureau studying paranormal activities. The game takes place within the premises of the headquarters.
- Features engaging gameplay.
- This game boasts some very realistic visuals.
- Theatrically presents the narrative.
34. The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan
Like The Walking Dead, this game is more similar to a movie than a video game. Man of Medan is amongst a series of anthological playable cinematic experiences. The gameplay is mainly comprised of interaction and choice-making.
The story centers five characters on an expedition to find old WW2 planes in the ocean, but they end up on a secluded ship. The choices presented to the player make a difference in the story’s outcome.
- It features a narrator who takes the players to the stories.
- It contains essential choices that bear an impact on the story.
- Plays like an interactive movie.
35. IMSCARED – THE REMAKE
This game is a first-person indie horror video game. This game features a pixelated style of visuals. The game manages to be unsettling, even though it has pixelated graphics. The game has a creepy atmosphere that messes with the head of the players.
This game features linear gameplay of just roaming around and exploring different sections of the game. The game has a great antagonist, the mysterious “The White Face.” Overall, this game is unique content that every horror fan should experience.
- Features linear gameplay.
- Contains many psychological themes.
- This game is a surreal experience.
36. Sylvio Horror Games For PC
This first-person horror game has a unique premise. You must record and analyze sounds to find hidden messages and uncover the story. These sounds are the murmurs of paranormal entities. The gameplay mainly comprises this gimmick and features a linear combat style.
The game is played from a first-person perspective. You play as a young woman with a knack for hearing conversations of otherworld entities. The players are also equipped with a homemade gun, which they must utilize to kill dark clouds.
- This game features a unique premise.
- It contains gameplay that focuses on analysis.
- Features a linear combat system.
37. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
This first-person takes the cake on utilizing horror themes. Based on the famous mythos of Cthulhu. The gameplay of this game is a mixture of enemy evasion, stealth, and shooting. The game also features some great set pieces.
The game is revolved around Jack Walters, a police detective. It would be best if you tackled followers of a cult and monsters from a different dimension. He manages to balance the gameplay and the horror elements perfectly. Distorted visuals in some of the intense sequences create a sense of dread.
- The game is based on the rich mythos.
- Features a perfect blend of gameplay and horror mechanics.
- Contains some great set pieces.
38. Death Stranding
Developed by the legendary Hideo Kojima, this video game was sure to be a spectacle. The horror element of this game comes from the sad fictional world it creates. The concept of the explosive phenomenon called “Death Stranding” is sure to invoke existential horror among players.
The protagonist of this game is a futuristic delivery man. So, much of the gameplay is traveling through rough land and scaling hills. The game also features a satisfying combat system.
- This game boasts some impressive visuals.
- Introduces the concept of existential horror.
- Contains unique concepts and gameplay mechanics.
39. Horror Games For P.C.: Visage
This indie horror game has the graphics of a triple-A title. This game was meant to be a successor to the wildly renowned P.T. on the ps4. And indeed, it delivered to quite some extent. The game is played from a first-person perspective in a large house.
The game has two playable chapters with different environments. The gameplay mainly revolves around the house’s exploration until you find a critical item that eventually triggers the game’s story.
- Focuses more on psychological horror elements.
- Features two distinct playable chapters.
- It incorporates a sanity meter for a more diverse gameplay experience.
40. The Evil Within 2
The sequel to the phenomenal Evil Within, this game retains all the charm of the first entry while improving some features. This survival horror game gets it right. With great designs of monsters and creatures and a beautifully crafted environment, this game will invoke terror within the player.
The gameplay has been vastly improved with the introduction of open-world areas. The combat system seems to be heavily inspired by Resident Evil 4. Overall, this is a horror game experience that can’t be disregarded.
- Set in an open-world environment.
- Features great shooting mechanics.
- Boasts great visuals.
41. Fahrenheit Horror Games For P.C.
Also known as Indigo Prophecy is an immersive thriller video game. This game is another example of an interactive movie experience. The game is very edgy and dramatic in presenting the narrative.
The narrative of the game centers around Lucas Kane. In a possessed state, he murders a man in the restroom and hurts himself. He is in a restaurant as he flees the crime scene. The game continues with this story.
- This game has interactive gameplay.
- It has a theatrical way of presenting its narrative.
- Features many quick-time event set pieces.
42. Layers of Fear
This simple game provides a riveting horror experience to even casual players. Layers of Fear has very linear gameplay. The brilliance of the game lies in its simplicity. In the same vein as Visage, this game mainly relies on exploration and observation.
The horror elements of this game are lukewarm. The environment of this game is similar to Amnesia. Although this game has many horror tropes, it has some genuinely well-constructed horror sequences.
- This game has very linear gameplay.
- Very much accessible by casual gamers.
- Contains many well-constructed horror sequences.
43. Corpse Party
This terrifying game series needs no introduction. This gore and terror fest is sure to send shivers down your spine. Considering that Corpse Party is an old top-down game with anime-style visuals, it packs some excellent horror punch. This video game was so popular that it spawned many entries and remakes.
Corpse Party: Blood Cover is a 2008 remake that improves the original. The characters of this game are high school students. While telling ghost stories, the students get transported to a different wrecked schoolhouse, and disaster ensues.
- This game contains extreme violence and gore.
- Features anime-style visuals.
- This game has a rich narrative and excellent world-building.
44. Spooky’s Jump Scare Mansion
Download horror games for pc. This one is unique among the few free horror games for pc to choose from. This little jump-scare fest has straightforward visuals.
Initially, the game tricks you into thinking this is a goofy kid’s game. The real horrifying nature of the game is revealed much later on. The gameplay is mostly exploration as you go through room by room and investigate to uncover the dark plot of the game.
- Features a retro-style visual.
- This simulation game has a walking simulator-like gameplay.
- Contains actual underlying horror elements.
45. Resident Evil 7
Although this list already features a resident evil title, it still would be a crime not to include this stellar entry in the franchise. Resident Evil 7 nails the horror elements in terms of environment and characters. Perhaps the scariest game in the entire franchise Resident Evil 7, must be experienced.
The game introduces players to a new protagonist Ethan Winters, who is searching for his missing wife. His search leads him to Baker’s house, and it is safe to say that the residents are not friendly. This game also incorporates a first-person perspective, which is uncommon in the series.
- This game features an all-new protagonist.
- Sets up a mysterious narrative.
- Features V.R. support.
46. Alone in the Dark
A horror video game series with mostly disappointing entries, but the very first Alone in the Dark was incredible. Alone in the Dark, they revolutionized gaming with its survival horror gameplay mechanics, which titles like Resident Evil and Silent Hill later adopted.
The game has two playable characters, Edward Carnby and Emily Hartwood. Playing as either of the protagonists, you must investigate the mysterious death of a rich man at his mansion. While the game has not aged well, it is still worth playing for its legacy.
- Features two playable characters.
- Holds essential legacy.
- Contains a cinematic approach.
47. BioShock Horror Games For P.C.
BioShock is a first-person sci-fi videogame that needs no introduction. This video game is highly praised for its narrative and environment. The setting for the game is incredibly intriguing, with its steampunk aesthetic. The addition of supernatural powers in the game enhances the gameplay.
The game’s setting is an underwater city called the “Rapture.” You play Jack, a flight passenger who crashes into the Atlantic Ocean. He survives the crash only to find the underwater utopia.
- This game has a unique setting.
- Contains sci-fi horror elements.
- Features unique first-person gameplay experience.
48. The Suffering
The Suffering is an overlooked horror title that has a lot to offer. This is a third-person survival horror game with some bizarre concepts. The environment and creature designs are indeed praiseworthy.
The game lets you play as Torque, a death row inmate. After being escorted to your cell, the prison is attacked by some horrifying monsters. Some reoccurring apparitions and figures serve the purpose of plot points.
- Features heavily action-oriented gameplay.
- Contains a great environment and creature designs.
- This game has a unique storyline.
49. Dead Rising
Another one of Capcom’s amazing I.P., Dead Rising, takes a more comical approach to zombie horror. The gameplay mainly involves killing zombies in the most fashionable and ridiculous ways in an open-world sandbox. This game is, overall, a fun title to play.
You play as a photographer and journalist, Frank West, amidst a zombie outbreak. The game’s objective is to survive 72 game hours in a mall. Along the way, you encounter many eccentric bosses you must take down.
- Has a more comical approach to zombie horror.
- Features many side-quests and additional gameplay modes.
- It has a unique kill system
50. Horror Games For P.C.: Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill is Konami’s counterpart to Resident Evil. This series has such a deep and well-crafted interconnected narrative and well-written characters that it has impacted the art of storytelling in all media. Silent Hill 2 is considered one of the best in the entire series.
The second installment of the franchise has some of the most well-written and emotionally captivating narratives in gaming. On the outside, Silent Hill 2 is a survival horror game, but it is so much more at its core. It needs experience that is compulsory for any gamer. The centers around James Sunderland, who come to Silent Hill after reading a letter written by his recently-deceased wife and shall be left to experience what ensues.
- Contains the most well-written narrative in gaming.
- This game has excellent world-building and intensively detailed environments.
- Great character designs.
Seeing the horror genre adapt so well to this media is truly remarkable. Horror video games have come far from the Alone in The Dark era. With the ever-improving visuals and compelling narratives, horror games are becoming more immersive. One can only imagine what heights horror games for pc will climb to.
Reader discretion is advised as many games on this list touch on some sensitive matters. Many games on this list also contain violence and gore, so tread cautiously. Feel free to check out other articles on this web page, and for more reviews, stay tuned.