Are you pursuing a Computer Science degree or planning to get one? Or are you someone thinking of a career switch to the CS field to make a better living? In the modern world of technology, there is no doubt why many CS jobs are ranking at the top. Check out the list of the 20 highest-paying computer science jobs and their requirements. There is so much to learn from the list to help you make the right career choice.
Why Computer Science jobs?
Look around you. Pretty much everything that you see relates to computer science. Computer viruses, websites, and mobile apps are all a part of the CS field. The subject is challenging but very rewarding once you understand the basics. It will open up many doors for you if you learn it the right way and apply it in real life.
Many of the jobs listed below might need a Bachelor’s degree to apply. Some senior roles could ask for a Master’s degree and many years of experience. You also need to have good soft skills besides technical skills.
Computer Science Jobs
Annual Salary Range (salary.com)
|$124,500 – $231,500
|129,572 – $158,898
|Information Systems Security Manager
|$123,383 – $151,276
|Big Data Engineer
|$107,033 – $138,663
|Machine Learning Engineer
|$110,679 and $135,729
|Scientists and Researchers
|$98,557 – $132,462
|$86,306 – $128,239
|Systems Security Administrator
|$89,021 – $123,070
|Professional Ethical Hacker
|$91,510 – $117,028
|Mobile Applications Developer
|$83,026 – $111,237
|Cyber Security Engineer
|$77,073 – $108,255
|$71,000 – $91,200
|Network Security Administrator
|$70,587 – $90,614
|$65,138 – $84,683
|$60,520 – $81,934
|System Software Engineer
|$62,858 – $79,217
|$59,801 – $78,442
|$56,689 – $78,340
|$58,275 – $76,181
The Best 20 Highest Paying Computer Science Jobs
Let us dive into the list of the highest-paying computer jobs. It will help you figure out the best career option for you.
1. Blockchain Developer
A Blockchain Developer is one of the most modern IT roles right now. It will be offering many more high-paid jobs in the future. Industries are paying large amounts of money to do business on this platform. Blockchain is a fast-growing technology.
The role handles the entire life cycle of a blockchain app. From researching to getting the product running, everything is on their shoulders. Very few have expertise in blockchain, and fewer qualify to get into such a role. Develop your blockchain skills if you are considering the position.
- A Blockchain developer must be good with blockchain technologies.
- There should be a good understanding of system design.
- Learn concepts like Ethereum, Go, C++, and Rust.
- They need to know how to research and find solutions to new problems.
2. Software Architect
Software Architect is the next computer job role to offer a big paycheck. You have to be an expert-level developer with excellent leadership skills. Various businesses and clients contact them to design and apply solutions. They work with other software engineers to come up with design decisions.
A Software Architect can be a communicator, designer, and developer. They make sure to build programs with the exact features that clients need. Broad knowledge of system design, coding, software tools, and platforms is necessary. Learn to lead your team in the right direction. Learn to handle the entire software development lifecycle.
- A Software Architect manages software development practices in an agile setup.
- Increase your chances by gaining knowledge and hands-on experience in the DevOps area.
- UML with designing and applying complex architectures is important to understand.
- You have to display strong leadership qualities along with vast technical knowledge.
- A Bachelor’s degree will help to understand the fundamentals of software architecture.
3. Information Systems Security Manager
Information Systems Security Manager manages networks and network security. It analyzes and evaluates all the security aspects of a network. It is a high-level position that needs advanced years of industrial experience. They are responsible for network security. Firewalls and encryption are some security systems they often work with and apply.
Every enterprise needs the security of its confidential information. The Information Systems Security Manager makes sure that information is safe 24/7. The role often requires them to work overtime to stop outsiders from getting access. They are also supervising and training the security staff to ensure better safety. Now you know why it is one of the most paid software jobs.
- Information Systems Security Managers usually hold security certifications like CEH or CISSP.
- You have to be quick to think of good security strategies and decisions.
- You should know the security side of both the hardware and software.
- Expertise in networking, system architecture, and various security tools is necessary.
4. Big Data Engineer
Big Data Engineer has the potential to be in high demand for the next five years. Industries need them to design, build, and test data processing systems. These systems deal with large data sets as more user information adds up. Manage systems to gain insights into customers, products, and operations.
Big Data Engineers provide companies with findings in data to predict market trends. Employers also use the analyses to check their performance and understand customer behavior. Industries like finance, healthcare, and IT need such professionals to predict the future.
- Big Data Engineers need to be experts with tools like Impala and Pig.
- You also need to be good with different Hadoop stacks like SPARK, Hive, etc.
- In-depth knowledge of using various databases like NoSQL and MongoDB is necessary.
- Also, a clear understanding of Big Data ML tools and Lambda Architecture is essential.
5. Machine Learning Engineer
Machine Learning Engineers use the most modern technologies to predict future patterns. It is a good career choice with the highest paying computer science jobs. Those interested in Data Science or AI can get into the field. ML Engineers are excellent programmers and researchers. Only the most passionate, experienced, and hard-working individuals can get ahead. Read the following articles about boosting your career in ML and the best ML Models to learn.
ML Engineers design and build AI systems. These systems process large data sets to develop algorithms. The algorithms are capable of auto-learning and making predictions. One needs to be good at data analysis to design such systems and develop algorithms. An ML Engineer also has to be an expert in executing tests and organizing data for better results. Check out the article on the top skills to becoming an ML Engineer.
- Machine Learning Engineers are good programmers with a wide variety of skills. These may include C++, Python, Java, Lisp, R, etc.
- One also needs to know the basics of statistics and mathematics.
- An ML Engineer should be a good problem solver who can make the right decisions.
- They have to know how to handle large data sets and analyze them.
6. Computer Scientists and Researchers
Computer Scientists and Researchers are computer geeks who love problem-solving. It is a field that offers high-paying computer jobs with many opportunities to grow. If you are into inventing and working with new technologies, you must check it out. Establish yourself as a reputable scientist or researcher in this popular field.
People wanting to work in the academic field can get into research. One needs to be patient to try many times when experiments fail. You also have to be curious to seek new solutions to problems. There is a rising demand to solve computing problems in technology, business, etc.
- Computer Scientists and Researchers need at least a Master’s degree in CS or related fields.
- They should have good coding knowledge in Python, Java, and HTML to help with research work.
- You often have to work in an agile setup. One needs to be familiar with that cycle.
- Problem-solving, analytical, and mathematical skills are also important.
- Help other scientists and researchers by publishing your findings in academic journals.
7. Data Manager
Data Managers are experts in managing and taking control of large data sets. Every growing company now needs one to deal with their increasing data. One needs to have excellent supervision skills to check the databases. As a data manager, you develop data management systems and policies.
You also have to supervise your team to manage data. Network with clients while you use data to gain insights into customer behavior. Keep track of your firm’s performance and the competitive market. Different sectors need data managers. Medical, educational, and many more sectors offer such computer jobs.
- Data managers must have technical knowledge of using various databases and schemas.
- They must have keen eyes for finding patterns in big data sets.
- You have to know about managing and securing data at the same time.
- One must be good at turning business ideas into real-world database schemas.
- Excellent communication skills and leadership qualities are necessary for clients and teams.
8. Systems Security Administrator
Systems Security Administrators are experts in helping companies to protect their networks. They are knowledgeable with many years of real-world experience. They are the heroes keeping track of any suspicious activities happening. It is one of the most stressful computer jobs that often needs overtime. Perform risk assessment, update security patches, and audit systems. You have to be always on your toes for 24/7 protection.
You have to look over the daily operation of security systems. Some tasks include managing user accounts, keeping safe backups, and developing security processes. They look after the security of networks, desktops, and even mobiles. You have to be good at installing security software programs and troubleshooting. Teach security staff about the security protocols and policies of the company.
- Systems Security Administrators should know the basics of computer networks and their architecture.
- A valid security certification makes one eligible for such roles.
- You have to be fast at detecting security flaws on a system or network.
- Different security tools like w3af and Metasploit are also essential to learn.
9. Ethical Hacker
An Ethical Hacker enjoys the thrill and the challenges that the role provides. It can be a freelancing job or a contract-based job. You have to know the ins and outs of a system to understand its potential flaws. The main task is to find the weak points of machines to gain access to it. You have to document everything and inform the company of its security flaws.
Ethical hackers save companies from testing the security strengths of their systems. The term includes all the security professionals who offer offensive security services. The list consists of pentesters, read teams, freelance consultants, etc.
Make sure you have signed written permission from the company before performing work.
- Ethical Hackers need certifications like CEH and OSCP to advance their careers.
- They should have high ethical standards that separate them from evil hackers.
- They need a good understanding of wired and wireless networks.
- In-depth knowledge of different OS and network security tools is essential.
- A regular update on the OWASP 10 list is a must to be aware of
10. Mobile Application Developer
Mobile application developers are in high demand in the world of mobile users. Checking the next meeting time, ordering a cab, or chatting with buddies, is on mobile. Even businesses rely on the usage of mobile phones. Companies need developers to promote their products. As a developer, you build an app from scratch and troubleshoot bugs.
Mobile app development is one of the best computer science jobs right now. They team up with UX designers and business leaders to develop smooth-running apps. Android app development is increasing in popularity. Check out the best software programs for android app development if you are starting. All you need is passion and a creative mind to succeed in the field.
- Mobile application developers learn to work on at least one platform: Android or iOS.
- Knowing the necessary programming languages and development tools is essential.
- One needs to learn how to store, update, and delete data. You also have to push notifications to reach mobile users.
- Soft skills such as problem-solving and teamwork are necessary.
11. IT Auditor
IT Auditors maintain a stable operation within companies and organizations. This is a high-paying software job where you have to manage information. They make sure that businesses are following national and international policies. The job also ensures keeping all confidential data and records safe. They are good at detecting fraud and any illegal activities happening.
Companies IT auditors someone to ensure nobody is breaking the rules or laws. They watch over the internal activities of a firm. They figure out and summarize audit reports to seniors for a smooth business. The job needs patience, keen eyes, and excellent analytical skills for success.
- IT Auditors may need at least a Master’s degree in IT or accounting.
- Certifications such as CISA and CISSP improve the chances of getting a job.
- You should be familiar with a range of systems and software tools.
- One should also have expertise in different OS and troubleshooting.
- The position may need you to travel a lot.
12. Network Security Administrator
Network Security Administrators are essential software jobs in the IT industry. The responsibilities are like the previous security roles. But the position focuses more on the network-side security of firms. You have to manage projects, maintain systems, and train staff.
It is your job to protect all the information on the network. All the data coming in and going out of the network should be safe. Use the appropriate software tools to maintain a stable network in a firm.
- Network Security Administrators must have a strong understanding
- They are good at finding bugs in networks and fixing them.
- Strong network troubleshooting is an essential skill.
- Certifications in the related area can help to progress in the field.
13. Network Engineer
Network Engineers are experts in network designs. They make sure that the network is running without any problems. You have to plan, design, and create a good network. A good network is available to the users at all times. The network also has to support different networking devices.
The job often tops the highest computer science salary in the UK. There are different networks you can design. LAN, WLAN, and VoIP are some of the popular ones. You build a network and make sure it supports the necessary media.
- Network Engineers need at least a Bachelor’s degree or IT-related degree.
- One should have a strong understanding of computer networks and hardware.
- They also need to know how to work with different networking devices.
- Certifications such as CCNP, CCIE, and Network+ can help land a job.
14. Data Scientist
Data Scientists are experts in reading data. It is amongst the highest-paid computer science jobs in Canada. Their role involves working with large data sets. You have to know how to analyze structured and unstructured data. You then have to design a model to predict an outcome for the firm.
The process is lengthy and needs your entire focus. You use the outcome to help companies make practical plans. Use skills in social science and technology to find trends and handle data. A vast knowledge helps understand the data and find solutions to business challenges.
- Data Scientists have a good understanding of mathematics and statistics.
- They have to be effective communicators to talk to leaders and teammates.
- They need expertise in Python, R, and other data science tools.
- Good analytical thinking and adapting skills are also essential.
15. Cyber Security Engineer
Cyber security engineering is a mix of electrical engineering and computer science. Both of these fields of study help to learn about cyberspace. It is one of the highest-paying computer science jobs because of its rising demand. Security policies, digital forensics, and network defense need cybersecurity engineers. You will find many helpful tips here to kickstart your career as a security engineer.
Protect the hardware and software with the right security tools. Watch over your network to fight against internet threats. Testing firewalls and identifying potential cyberattacks are all part of the role. Make sure to stay updated with the cybersecurity news all the time. The following article on the top cybersecurity trends can help you be well-informed.
- Cyber security engineers get at least a Bachelor’s degree in CS, IT, or a similar field.
- Any valid security certifications like the Security+, CISA can also help land a job.
- Work experience in forensics, incident detection, and response improves chances.
- Skill in computer networks and network security is a must.
16. DevOps Engineer
DevOps Engineers work toward automating apps. They help companies make a smooth move to cloud platforms. They use cloud technology to provide services to users. It is amongst the highest paying jobs in the computer science field in the USA.
DevOps Engineers work with developers and product managers to release Bug-free products. They make sure that the process is smooth and error-free. Getting a cloud certification can help land a job. Check out the following article to gain some insights.
- DevOps Engineers should know how to use the git platform.
- A Bachelor’s degree in CS, Engineering, and related fields will help.
- One should have experience working in Python or Ruby.
- They should know about databases.
17. System Software Engineer
System Software Engineer involves coding, building, and designing software systems. Their job is to make more efficient systems. They build apps and test them to make products user-friendly. They also make sure to keep everything under the budget.
It is the best entry-level computer science job that you can find. But getting accepted for such a role is not easy. It combines CS, Engineering, and mathematics. You should have a good understanding of both hardware and software.
- System Software Engineers should know high-level and low-level system designs.
- They should be skillful in programming and mathematics.
- They need to know a wide range of software development tools.
- Knowledge of mobile software development and system security is essential.
18. Database Administrator
Database Administrator is a fast-paced role. It is amongst the highest paying entry-level computer science jobs. Manage complex database systems and help firms to find real solutions. Salary increases as you perform better.
Perform routine tests and check if the database is running error-free. You have to troubleshoot to find issues and fix them. You also have to see the security side of the databases. Take all the necessary steps to secure data.
- Database Administrators have a vast knowledge of different databases.
- Earn certifications in the related field from IBM, Microsoft, or Oracle.
- You should be skillful in using SQL.
- Learn how to secure databases and take the necessary security measures.
19. Web Developer
Web developers enjoy doing freelancing jobs. You do not need to have Any certifications or academic degrees to become one. Learn the basics and start creating projects. There are many freelance sites to help developers earn money. All you need is practice and passion. Web developers need to be creative to come up with unique ideas.
As a front-end developer, you learn to create content and design sites. As a backend developer, you write codes and create website features. Some developers also take the role of handling everything on a website. You manage, update, and troubleshoot a website and get paid more.
- Web developers must learn HTML, CSS, PHP, and MySQL.
- Learn different web technologies and how to use them.
- Improve your skill by using various web frameworks like Laravel, Django, etc.
- Backend developers should be good at various languages like Python, Java, etc.
- One should have a basic understanding of visual designs.
- Learn how to rank websites higher with SEO tools.
20. Computer Programmers
Computer Programmers is the last one on our list of computer jobs. You have to build programs from scratch to run the systems. It is a role that needs strong analytical skills, logic, and patience. You have to be fast at fixing errors in your codes. Employers look for passionate people who have a knack for coding.
Practice improving your coding skills. The article lists the best source code editors to help your programming journey. There are many options for you once you become a good programmer. You can work in IT, medical, government service, and many more.
- Computer Programmers should be good at mathematics.
- It helps a lot if they complete a degree in computer science.
- Knowledge of using different operating systems will be a bonus.
- One should know a wide variety of programming languages.
Which computer science job pays the most?
We collected the salary information from the reliable site salary.com. According to the list, Blockchain Development pays the most. Other well-paid jobs include Software Architect and Information Security.
What fields of computer science will be in the highest demand after 2020?
From my research, my top five guesses are:
- Data science
- Big Data Analytics
- Web Development
What are the most in-demand computer science jobs?
The most in-demand jobs are different from high-paid jobs. High-paid computer jobs often include senior roles. But, most in-demand jobs are easy to find and even get. From my research, the following jobs seem to be the most in-demand:
- Web Development
- Mobile App Development
- Computer Programmers
- Ethical Hacking
- Software Engineer
- Network Engineering
Besides tech firms, many freelance sites have a high demand for these jobs.
Is computer science a promising career?
A big yes. It is because the subject provides a lot of career options. You can move to any area, whether IT security or web development. The average salary payment is also high compared to other job kinds.
What is the best course in computer science?
It depends on your interests and in which area you want to work.But in my opinion, the following courses are helpful:
- The fundamentals of programming
- Web Application
- Computer Networks
- IT Security
- Data Science
Is computer science a lot of math?
Computer science has different specialized areas. The importance of math depends on your career path. A basic understanding of calculus, algebra, discrete math, and statistics are essential.
What is the most straightforward job in computer science?
My top five picks are:
- Frontend web development
- Backend web development
- Mobile app development (Android or iOS)
- Software tester
How can I get a job in CS?
It depends on the role that you want. But most applicants follow the following general steps:
- Earn an academic degree.
- Choose a specialty.
- Earn certifications related to your field of interest.
- Create and upload projects online for a resume.
- Make connections in the same work of interest.
What jobs will still exist in 2050?
Data Science and ML Engineering seem to be in high demand in the future.
We reached the end of our article. I hope now it will be easy to make your decision. Go through the list again to see which computer job suits you. Passion will help you get rich in mind and wealth. So, follow your passion and share my article with other passionate learners.