When did you last see a picture that has approved without getting retouch of any photo editing software? Modernity is all about standing out in the crowd, and so anything related to you need to be as unique as you.
Again having said that, people have been using open-source Photoshop software to recreate any photo in its best version. While Photoshop serves the limited users with the paid version, you have so many alternative open-source software out there to experiment and bring the best out of you. To assist you in this department, we are presenting 20 Best Open Source Photoshop Software Alternative.
Best Open Source Photoshop Alternative
Every alternative software of Photoshop has a few cool features. Apart from that, some software has tried the best to give you a similar experience and tools entirely like Photoshop. Let’s shed some light on those 20 best open-source Photoshop software.
In the crowd of various photo editors, GIMP has managed to provide full coverage in every aspect and to keep up its impressive performance like an eternity. This open-source alternative for Photoshop is somehow offering a premium service by letting the users give access to all formats. As a result of all these features, you have this one stage to explore graphics, animation, or any photograph from zero ground.
- GIMP has almost all the topnotch editing options.
- It supports plenty of extensions and plug-ins.
- This software is an unavoidable tool for both designers and photographers.
- It can swiftly work with various types of image files.
- The interface is not quite friendly with the beginners for a while.
Krita has an identical interface with Photoshop that makes it another open-source Photoshop alternative. This lightweight software runs on windows, mac, android, and Linux programs. It can contribute to a professional 2D animation, and the collaboration for graphics, sketches, or other purposes does not let you have any ray of disappointment.
- The interface shares many similarities with Photoshop so that the familiar users will experience extra comfort with this tool.
- It allows you to work on several projects simultaneously.
- You can easily customize the default brushes as per your need.
- This software gives you the freedom to import a few advanced or unique options from other users.
- It does not provide you the history of the previous appliances.
3. Luminar AI
Luminar AI is the only free, open-source version of Photoshop that supports artificial intelligence in your image editing. You can entirely depend on it or add in as a third-party plug-in for necessary features; it will amaze you in both ways. Being an AI supportive, there is always a few unique options you might want to try on your pictures.
- You can adjust new objects or remove a specific existing portion with it.
- The color texture makes the image look more realistic.
- A unique feature of experimenting with sun rays you can only find here.
- It can edit RAW photos accurately.
- After 7days of the free trial, you have to purchase a paid version to continue it.
Darktable is a prime pick for newly engaged photo editors, looking for an open-source alternative for Photoshop. It doesn’t have any advanced tool to offer, yet it creates a great value on the user’s mind by giving quick solutions to correct the colors, shape, or resize.
- It has a simple interface that instantly finishes the quick changes with one click.
- Darktable is widely available to run on all types of programs.
- The outlook has immense similarity with Lightroom software.
- You can restore all the negative photographs in the database and apply different operators on them.
- It will not provide a good outcome in case of editing sketches or drawings.
5. Pinta Open Source Photoshop Alternative
For whom language is an obstacle which spoils your editing flow, this open-source Photoshop alternative is the nearby resolution. Pinta is available in multilingual, making it easier for those who like to understand each function better. Apart from that, you will also enjoy the features added here to polish your photos.
- It allows you to analyze the image in a grid view by pixel.
- You can modify a supervisor on the interface to install new work-related plug-ins in your software.
- Pinta is a primary level application with a few advanced operations.
- It gives you the privilege of having unlimited changes in your image.
- It is not capable of making massive progress in an image.
Photoline is a simple open-source Adobe Photoshop that can accomplish several challenging tasks. It freely supports PDF files and works with USB sticks too. Also, with Photoline, you can create your HTML pictures gallery.
- PhotoLine gives you the freedom to rotate the picture anywhere.
- You can create simple flyers, animations, and GIF with this software.
- It helps you create your customized calendar.
- You can edit any photo by retouching it again.
- You cannot count on it for primary edits.
Inkscape is not directly related to editing photographs; this open-source Photoshop software can convert pictures in vector images. So, it can be an alternative to an illustrator. Still, preparing the RAW photo and work on them, including having some simple, applicable tools, makes this software worthwhile.
- It has a comprehensive collection of color texture, including the standard selectors.
- Inkscape is an essential application for the professionals of vector graphics.
- It has useful painting tools for sketching, drawing, and illustrating.
- This software easily co-operates with SVG file format.
- Inkscape cannot handle large files; the extreme workers may lag because of this.
8. Sumo Paint
Sumo Paint is one step ahead when it comes to availability, as you do not have to hamper yourself by the installation process or while downloading it. Because of Sumo Paintworks as a cloud-based Chrome web application. Excluding that, Sumo Paint surprisingly has a massive number of advanced functionalities, which will improve your editing skills even more.
- It helps in developing 3D effects and waves in an image.
- Sumo Paint has more than 300 types of paintbrushes.
- You can apply gradient effects on images with a realistic view.
- It does not require installation, fixes bugs itself, and also updates frequently.
- This tool doesn’t support a few popular file formats.
Paint.NET is nowadays a high-rated open-source Photoshop software. It has given a standard and comfortable interface to process work with the frequently updated tools. You can store all the history of work, and changes in this software raise this piece in the next level of photo editors.
- This application is entirely beginner-friendly with its tutorials.
- The lightweight version is convenient to install and has excellent speed.
- You can use this on both personal and business purposes.
- It doesn’t snap automatically.
- This software is only applicable to Windows users.
10. Sketch Open Source Photoshop Alternative
The Sketch is an open source for Photoshop that is mainly eligible for vector graphics. Continuing that, it can draw tiny sketches of several things to create an icon or logo. You can also use this application in your android phone and keep innovating newer possibilities.
- Sketch has a rich collection of 200 plug-ins.
- This application is the fastest way to build shapes or mockups.
- It has several layouts and reusable icons.
- This application has a lot of options for UI/UX, web design, and graphics.
- It doesn’t have any cloud storage to backup files.
Photoworks is a powerful open-source version of Photoshop which won’t let you down with the ultimate result and the free usage of advanced tools. It has a library of presets and faces sculpting option that helps to get through some tremendous styles.
- It has nearly 200 filters, including vintage, splashes of colors.
- PhotoWorks support a wide range of RAW files, probably more than 450 formats.
- It has all the advanced features to try on, and after practicing a bit, you can hardly replace this software.
- This one has a few tremendous tools to experiment with photo backgrounds.
- It only runs on windows and also does not support PSD files.
Canva is more likely a fun or non-serious photo editor. It contains stickers, emoji, and other kinds of stuff with large storage for numerous photos. You can work with your team or alone, but editing in this software or the outcome you get from here is never dull.
- Canva gets you a transparency reflection in your piece.
- It has a complete box of designed icons, and all are free to use.
- Canva consumes the need for blurring an image to giving a vintage effect.
- You can deliberately crop and add text inside the picture.
- You can use it as one of the best Open Source Mind Mapping Software.
- It has trouble with resizing the original image after editing.
Seashore is a lightweight open-source Photoshop alternative that does not surprise you with lots of advanced tools. The one notable feature it has is pressure sensitivity, which is rare in other software. While drawing on a pressure-sensitive tablet, you may able to reflect this feature in your edited pictures.
- Seashore has six highly demanded gradient effects, and transparency is one of them.
- It nearly supports all types of photo formats.
- The beginners will instantly get used to this application.
- It has limited similarities with GIMP.
- It does not have any default effect, and the interface is quite ancient.
Photopea is an open-source alternative for Photoshop that helps your preparatory works done within the shortest possible time. At the same time, Photoshop would take a lot of time to load and prepare to start the project. This software is entirely compatible with most of the programs and formats.
- This software offers numerous blending options with customized brushes.
- It supports two rare formats, SVG and PSD, including other popular formats.
- You can adjust any text on a curve.
- It does not require external plug-ins.
- The trial Photopea has annoying ad distractions.
15. Pixlr Open Source Photoshop Alternative
Pixlr is another web-based, open-source for Photoshop replacing editor. Being an online photo editor, it even makes the editing in android phones easier with it. It also lets you adjust the essential issues of the picture at once. Moreover, you can use it as online flowchart maker software.
- Pixlr offers standard filters that you can directly use on Instagram.
- It keeps a detailed history of edits.
- It can run on any program, even on cell-phones and tablets.
- You can change the clarity of the picture without harming the originality much.
- It has a complex installing process, and you cannot access work without proper connection to the internet.
Pixelmator is mainly an edition for Mac users. They can use it as an Collage Maker Free to Manage Your Picture for resolving graphic tasks. Though it has a few unique features for editing photos, to get the best use of it, you can enhance your graphical artwork practices with Pixelmator and see a fantastic result sooner.
- The improvements and changes are easy to find out instantly.
- Pixelmator helps you erasing all the base colors existing in the photo and replacing another.
- It has customized brushes, slightly different, and their original creation.
- You can mix any filters or effects and try both of them in a single picture.
- Pixelmator only runs on MAC and does not support RAW files even with the paid version.
17. Affinity Photo
Affinity editor has acquired its position by showing off some advanced features that are quite handy and admirable to use on images. This open-source Photoshop alternative not only runs on different programs but also has a few exchangeable for image formats to share without facing difficulties.
- Affinity allows you to edit multiple images at the same time.
- You can erase any layout from the picture without falling a negative impact on the real image.
- It has the capability of editing an image in 360 degrees.
- You can digitally color a photograph with sharp outlines.
- A few tools require an update.
Acorn is a Flying Meat’s creation for open-source Photoshop alternative. It provides you clones of particular pieces to let you experiment or use it if necessary. As this software mentions having a lot of vector icons, so besides editing images, you can also practice designing logos here. It is one of the best Free Organizational Chart Template Creator.
- It allows you to change the brush headers and personalize according to your need.
- This software is free to experiment with modern emoji.
- It has a lot of vectors designed icons, curves, images to add on pictures.
- You can turn or rotate the layer, including transforming it.
- It is not an appropriate platform for easy changes in photographs.
19. Photo Pos Pro
Photo Pos Pro is the less renowned open-source adobe Photoshop software with two different layouts, one for the beginners and the other for the experts in editing. Besides editing single photos, it can create collages by mixing images. From editing RAW pictures to a business card, this always is a useful tool.
- It gives you sufficient customer support to solve any difficulty you are facing in the process.
- It has plenty of brushes, masks, and layers.
- Photo Pos Pro serves you an excellent limit of both starter and advanced options.
- You can save the edited file here and use it whenever you find it necessary.
- The excessive workload on it may slow it down for a while.
20. LightZone Open Source Photoshop Alternative
The main benefit of using this open-source Photoshop alternative is that although it works on the RAW version, it doesn’t harm the main piece. You can move one after another effect by switching continuously, which will surely save your time.
- It mainly adjusts the right brightness, white-level in an image.
- LightZone lets you work on RAW files even with the primary features.
- You can run it on any popular program.
- It enhances the exposure and also a handy tool for newbies.
- It has low color accuracy, and there is no instruction for easy applying.
Editing photographs is not only a hobby in the present day. It requires professional skills and knowledge of software to being called a photo editor. People are always searching for the fullest services at a cheaper rate, and this era made this thing easier by developing alternative solutions.
But of course, not all the Photoshop replaceable software will live up to your expectation based on what your demands are from it. That is why being specific with your tools will help you and save your time in getting an accurate application.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which one is the best free Photoshop alternative?
Ans. In the sense of providing the most number of services with no price tag, GIMP is undoubtedly one best option to reach for always. Other than that, GIMP has all the nearest features that can meet up the demand you expect from Photoshop.
Does Google have any software that is Photoshop equivalent?
Ans. Google does have a high range of picture editing software named Google’s Nik Collection, which you can download and use free of cost in both windows and mac. It has earned privilege as an excellent performing software for professional photo editors.
Are any older versions of Photoshop free?
Ans. Photoshop does not offer any free version of any of its updated or previous versions. Though people think the cs2 version is free to download and use, in reality, the users cannot renew their license to use it, so they hold onto that version without paying any more.
Is Photoshop remain free for Windows 10?
Ans. The compatible version of Photoshop for windows is available in the Microsoft store. You can instantly use it after installing, but you might need to purchase the monthly package for a few premium features.
How long can I use Photoshop free trial?
Ans. Photoshop gives you a 7days free trial. To keep using this version, you must purchase that package. Otherwise, there are several alternatives to Photoshop. All you need to do is search for your required options in other free software.
Which Photoshop alternative you should be buying for the beginners?
Ans. Paint.NET is so far one best Open Source Photoshop Alternative, to begin with, your primary work, and then slowly move onto higher levels.