When did you last see a picture that has been approved without getting retouched by any photo editing software? Modernity is all about standing out in the crowd, so anything related to you must be as unique as you.
We are again saying that people have been using open-source Photoshop software to recreate any photo in its best version. While Photoshop serves limited users with the paid version, you have many alternative open-source software to experiment with and bring the best out of you. We present the 20 Best Open Source Photoshop Software Alternative to assist you in this department.
Best Open Source Photoshop Alternative
Every alternative software of Photoshop has a few cool features. Apart from that, some software has tried its best to give you a similar experience and tools like Photoshop. Let’s shed some light on the 20 best open-source Photoshop software.
In the crowd of various photo editors, GIMP has managed to provide full coverage in every aspect and to keep up its impressive performance like an eternity. This open-source alternative for Photoshop is somehow offering a premium service by letting the users give access to all formats. As a result of all these features, you have this one stage to explore graphics, animation, or any photograph from zero ground.
- GIMP has almost all the top-notch editing options.
- It supports plenty of extensions and plug-ins.
- This software is an unavoidable tool for both designers and photographers.
- It can swiftly work with various types of image files.
- The interface is not entirely friendly to beginners for a while.
Krita has an identical interface to Photoshop, which makes it another open-source Photoshop alternative. This lightweight software runs on Windows, Mac, Android, and Linux programs. It can contribute to a professional 2D animation, and the collaboration for graphics, sketches, or other purposes does not let you have any ray of disappointment.
- The interface shares many similarities with Photoshop so familiar users will experience extra comfort with this tool.
- It allows you to work on several projects simultaneously.
- You can easily customize the default brushes as per your need.
- This software lets you import a few advanced or unique options from other users.
- It does not provide you with the history of the previous appliances.
3. Luminar AI
Luminar AI is the only free, open-source version of Photoshop that supports artificial intelligence in your image editing. You can entirely depend on it or add it as a third-party plug-in for necessary features; it will amaze you in both ways. Being an AI supporter, there are always a few unique options you might want to try on your pictures.
- You can adjust new objects or remove a specific existing portion with it.
- The color texture makes the image look more realistic.
- A unique feature of experimenting with sun rays you can only find here.
- It can edit RAW photos accurately.
- After 7days of the free trial, you must purchase a paid version to continue it.
Darktable is a prime pick for newly engaged photo editors looking for an open-source alternative to Photoshop. It doesn’t offer advanced tools, yet it creates significant value in the user’s mind by giving quick solutions to correct the colors, shapes, or resize.
- It has a simple interface instantly finishes the quick changes with one click.
- Darktable is widely available to run on all types of programs.
- The outlook has immense similarities with Lightroom software.
- You can restore all the negative photographs in the database and apply different operators.
- It will not provide a good outcome in the case of editing sketches or drawings.
5. Pinta Open Source Photoshop Alternative
For whom language is an obstacle that spoils your editing flow, this open-source Photoshop alternative is the nearby resolution. Pinta is available in multilingual, making it easier for those who like to understand each function better. Apart from that, you will also enjoy the features added here to polish your photos.
- It allows you to analyze the image in a grid view by pixel.
- You can modify a supervisor on the interface to install new work-related plug-ins in your software.
- Pinta is a primary-level application with a few advanced operations.
- It gives you the privilege of having unlimited changes in your image.
- It is not capable of making massive progress in an image.
Photoline is a simple open-source Adobe Photoshop that can accomplish several challenging tasks. It freely supports PDF files and works with USB sticks too. Also, with Photoline, you can create your HTML pictures gallery.
- PhotoLine gives you the freedom to rotate the picture anywhere.
- You can create simple flyers, animations, and GIFs with this software.
- It helps you create your customized calendar.
- You can edit any photo by retouching it again.
- You cannot count on it for primary edits.
Inkscape is not directly related to editing photographs; this open-source Photoshop software can convert pictures into vector images. So, it can be an alternative to an illustrator. Still, preparing and working on the RAW photo, including having some simple, applicable tools, makes this software worthwhile.
- It has a comprehensive collection of color textures, including standard selectors.
- Inkscape is an essential application for professionals in vector graphics.
- It has valuable painting tools for sketching, drawing, and illustrating.
- This software easily co-operates with SVG file format.
- Inkscape cannot handle large files; the extreme workers may lag because of this.
8. Sumo Paint
Sumo Paint is one step ahead regarding availability, as you do not have to hamper yourself with the installation process or while downloading it because Sumo Paintworks is a cloud-based Chrome web application. Excluding that, Sumo Paint surprisingly has many advanced functionalities, which will improve your editing skills even more.
- It helps in developing 3D effects and waves in an image.
- Sumo Paint has more than 300 types of paintbrushes.
- You can apply gradient effects on images with a realistic view.
- It does not require installation, fixes bugs, and updates frequently.
- This tool doesn’t support a few popular file formats.
Paint.NET is nowadays a high-rated open-source Photoshop software. It has given a standard and comfortable interface to process work with the frequently updated tools. You can store all the work history, and changes in this software raise this piece to the next level of photo editors.
- This application is entirely beginner-friendly with its tutorials.
- The lightweight version is convenient to install and has excellent speed.
- You can use this for both personal and business purposes.
- It doesn’t snap automatically.
- This software is only applicable to Windows users.
10. Sketch Open Source Photoshop Alternative
Sketch is an open source for Photoshop that is mainly eligible for vector graphics. It can draw tiny sketches of several things to create an icon or logo. You can also use this application on your Android phone and keep innovating newer possibilities.
- Sketch has a rich collection of 200 plug-ins.
- This application is the fastest way to build shapes or mockups.
- It has several layouts and reusable icons.
- This application has a lot of options for UI/UX, web design, and graphics.
- It doesn’t have any cloud storage to back up files.
Photoworks is a powerful open-source version of Photoshop that won’t disappoint you with the ultimate result and the free usage of advanced tools. It has a library of presets and faces sculpting option that helps to get through some tremendous styles.
- It has nearly 200 filters, including vintage splashes of colors.
- PhotoWorks support a wide range of RAW files, probably more than 450 formats.
- It has all the advanced features to try on, and after practicing a bit, you can hardly replace this software.
- This one has a few tremendous tools to experiment with photo backgrounds.
- It only runs on Windows and also does not support PSD files.
Canva is more likely a fun or non-serious photo editor. It contains stickers, emoji, and other kinds of stuff with ample storage for numerous photos. You can work with your team or alone, but editing in this software or the outcome you get from here is never dull.
- Canva gets you a transparency reflection in your piece.
- It has a complete box of designed icons, all free to use.
- Canva consumes the need for blurring an image to give a vintage effect.
- You can deliberately crop and add text inside the picture.
- You can use it as one of the best Open Source Mind Mapping Software.
- It has trouble with resizing the original image after editing.
Seashore is a lightweight open-source Photoshop alternative that does not surprise you with many advanced tools. The one notable feature is pressure sensitivity, which is rare in other software. While drawing on a pressure-sensitive tablet, you may be able to reflect this feature in your edited pictures.
- Seashore has six highly demanded gradient effects, and transparency is one of them.
- It supports nearly all types of photo formats.
- The beginners will instantly get used to this application.
- It has limited similarities with GIMP.
- It has no default effect, and the interface is quite ancient.
Photopea is an open-source alternative to Photoshop that helps complete your preparatory work within the shortest possible time. At the same time, Photoshop would take a lot of time to load and prepare to start the project. This software is entirely compatible with most of the programs and formats.
- This software offers numerous blending options with customized brushes.
- It supports two rare formats, SVG and PSD, including other popular formats.
- You can adjust any text on a curve.
- It does not require external plug-ins.
- The trial Photopea has annoying ad distractions.
15. Pixlr Open Source Photoshop Alternative
Pixlr is another web-based, open-source Pho to shop replacing editor. Being an online photo editor, it even makes editing on Android phones easier with it. It also lets you adjust the essential issues of the picture at once. Moreover, you can use it as online flowchart maker software.
- Pixlr offers standard filters that you can directly use on Instagram.
- It keeps a detailed history of edits.
- It can run on any program, even on cell phones and tablets.
- You can change the clarity of the picture without harming the originality much.
- It has a complex installing process, and you cannot access work without a proper connection to the internet.
Pixelmator is mainly an edition for Mac users. They can use it as a Collage Maker Free to Manage Your Picture for resolving graphic tasks. Though it has a few unique features for editing photos, to get the best use of it, you can enhance your graphical artwork practices with Pixelmator and see a fantastic result sooner.
- The improvements and changes are easy to find out instantly.
- Pixelmator helps you resell the base colors ex the photo and rereplacenother.
- It has customized brushes, slightly different, and their original creation.
- You can mix any filters or effects and try both of them in a single picture.
- Pixelmator only runs on MAC and does not support RAW files, even with the paid version.
17. Affinity Photo
Affinity editor has acquired its position by showing off some advanced features that are handy and admirable to use on images. This open-source Photoshop alternative runs on different programs and has a few exchangeable image formats to share without facing difficulties.
- Affinity allows you to edit multiple images at the same time.
- You can erase any layout from the picture without negatively impacting the actual image.
- It has the capability of editing an image in 360 degrees.
- You can digitally color a photograph with sharp outlines.
- A few tools require an update.
Acorn is a Flying Meat’s creation for an open-source Photoshop alternative. It provides clones of particular pieces to let you experiment or use if necessary. As this software mentions having a lot of vector icons, so besides editing images, you can also practice designing logos here. It is one of the best Free Organizational Chart Template Creator.
- It allows you to change the brush headers and personalize them according to your need.
- This software is free to experiment with modern emoji.
- It has a lot of vectors, designed icons, curves, and images to add to pictures.
- You can turn or rotate the layer, including transforming it.
- It is not an appropriate platform for easy changes in photographs.
19. Photo Pos Pro
Photo Pos Pro is the less renowned open-source Adobe Photoshop software with two different layouts, one for beginners and the other for experts in editing. Besides editing single photos, it can create collages by mixing images. This tool is always helpful for editing RAW pictures for business cards.
- It gives you sufficient customer support to solve any difficulty you are facing in the process.
- It has plenty of brushes, masks, and layers.
- Photo Pos Pro offers an excellent limit of starter and advanced options.
- You can save the edited file here and use it whenever necessary.
- The excessive workload on it may slow it down for a while.
20. LightZone Open Source Photoshop Alternative
The main benefit of this open-source Photoshop alternative is that although it works on the RAW version, it doesn’t harm the main piece. You can move one after another effect by switching continuously, saving you time.
- It mainly adjusts the correct brightness and white level in an image.
- LightZone lets you work on RAW files even with the primary features.
- You can run it on any popular program.
- It enhances exposure and is also a handy tool for newbies.
- It has low color accuracy, and there is no instruction for easy application.
Editing photographs is not only a hobby in the present day. It requires professional skills and software knowledge to be called a photo editor. People are always searching for total services at a cheaper rate, and this era made this thing easier by developing alternative solutions.
But of course, not all Photoshop-replaceable software will live up to your expectation based on your demands. That is why being specific with your tools will help you and save you time in getting an accurate application.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which one is the best free Photoshop alternative?
Ans. In the sense of providing the most services with no price tag, GIMP is undoubtedly one best option to reach for always. Besides that, GIMP has all the nearest features that can meet the demand you expect from Photoshop.
Does Google have any software that is Photoshop equivalent?
Ans. Google does have a high range of picture editing software named Google’s Nik Collection, which you can download and use free of cost on both Windows and Mac. It has earned the privilege of excellent performing software for professional photo editors.
Are any older versions of Photoshop free?
Ans. Photoshop does not offer any free version of its updated or previous versions. Though people think the cs2 version is free to download and use, users cannot renew their license, so they hold onto it without paying any more.
Is Photoshop remain free for Windows 10?
Ans. The compatible version of Photoshop for Windows is available in the Microsoft store. You can instantly use it after installing it, but you might need to purchase the monthly package for a few premium features.
How long can I use Photoshop free trial?
Ans. Photoshop gives you a 7-day free trial. To keep using this version, you must purchase that package. Otherwise, there are several alternatives to Photoshop. You only need to search for your required options in other free software.
Which Photoshop alternative should you be buying for beginners?
Ans. Paint.NET is one of the best Open Source Photoshop alternatives, to begin with your primary work and slowly move onto higher levels.