Usually, regular text editors or composers don’t let you view or edit Hexadecimal files or hex codes. It would be best to have a particular software or computer program to edit and view hexadecimal files. The article will help you find the best HEX editor and guide you on using them. So let us learn about the 20 Best hex editors for Windows in 2023.
Hex or Hexadecimal
The hexadecimal numeral system, often called ‘hex,’ is a number system comprising 16 numbers. In other words, it is a 16-base numeral system instead of our familiar 10-based decimal system. Your daily standard numeral has 10 symbols, whereas the hex system has 16. The hex symbols are 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E, and F. The last 6 symbols are taken from the English alphabet. And to put them in decimal context, A= decimal 10, and F= decimal 15.
Usually, computers use hex systems, so you haven’t seen hexadecimal numbers used daily. Early computers used binary numeral systems made up of 0 and 1. But as computers became more capable, they used bits of four numbers and the 16 base numeral systems. Here is a representation of the values of hex numbers converted to other numeral systems.
What is a Hex Editor?
A hex editor, or a binary editor, is a computer program manipulating the fundamental binary numbers of a computer’s binary data. Usually, a computer file holds multiple areas on a file storage system like HDD or disk. The contents are combined to form a file saved in binary format. A Hex editor is designed to parse and edit the sector data from the physical segments on a hard or floppy disk. These editors are often called sector editors or disk editors.
Best Hex Editor for Windows 10
Several hex editors are on the market, but not all are worth mentioning. We have freed you from going through the trouble of finding the best free hex editor for Windows 10. Here is a list of the 20 best hex editors for Windows in 2023.
1. HxD Hex Editor- the Best Free Hex Editor for Windows
HxD Hex Editor is my favorite hex editing and viewing program for Windows 10. It has dynamic and handy features. You can copy, edit, cut, and paste the hexadecimal numbers. Moreover, you can also compare two hex files as well as insert bytes.
You can use HxD Hex Editor to search for a specific hex code and replace them. Moreover, you can search for a specific code address too. Additionally, with HxD Hex Editor, you can edit decimal and octal files.
- This is freeware software.
- You can compare two hex files.
- People can search and replace codes.
- You can jump to s specific address.
- You can insert bytes on a file.
2. Free Hex Editor Neo
Free Hex Editor Neo is another best hex editor for Windows 7, 8, and 10 PCs. With Free Hex Editor Neo, one can easily edit ASCII, binary, double, and decimal codes. It is a great hex editor and hex viewer. You can say it is the best HXD hex editor alternative.
Free Hex Editor Neo allows you to edit and view multiple hex files simultaneously. You can edit and, or remove a hex code from a file. It can also help you to encrypt and decrypt hexadecimal data. You can also save and print out hexadecimal files. It can easily handle large hex files.
- Free Hex Editor Neo is a free Windows hex editor.
- It can encrypt and decrypt hex files.
- The app supports multi-tabs to work on hex files.
- It can insert hex codes and other files.
- Neo Windows hex editor is capable of handling large files.
WinVi is a tremendous open-source hex editor software for your Windows PC. It is free, and hundreds of people use it worldwide and continue to upgrade it. This simple tool can quickly help you view and edit hex, ASCII, DOS, UTF-8, EBCDIC, and Binary files. You can edit any hexadecimal file on it.
As a user, you can search for a specific code in the search option of the app. You can replace a string of the code with another one. Moreover, you can also insert files into the editor from the insert menu. WinVi is supported on Windows 2000, XP, Server 2003, Vista, and Windows 7.
- You can also edit binary codes with WinVi.
- It can edit large files up to 2 GB.
- WinVi supports the Unix text file format.
- It comes with multi-language support.
- One can freely select the background of the program.
4. Hextreme Hex Editor
Hextreme Hex Editor is the best open-source hex editor. This free and straightforward editor lets you view and edit hexadecimal, binary, and octal files. The software can open files simultaneously and edit them. Like other editors, it can search for a specific hex code and replace it with a new one.
You can also change the app’s background color, text color, and fonts and customize the interface. It is a great hex editor Neo alternative for you to use.
- The app is free to use.
- You can customize the interface.
- It can edit, cut, and paste the hex files.
- You can search for a code and replace them.
- You can save and print a hex file if you want.
BitEdit9 is another free hexadecimal file editor. It is a hex viewer and editor, decimal editor, binary viewer and editor, and octal viewer and editor. It comes with three sections for editing. They are as follows: Offset, Hexadecimal, and Character section. In the sections, the designated information of the string is visible.
The drop-down menu lets you select from different code systems- decimal, binary, octal, and hexadecimal. SLikeWinVi, you can use BitEdit9 to find and replace a string.
- BitEdit9 is a complete editor that can edit all Unicode.
- It comes with a tremendous and straightforward.
- You can search and replace a code string.
XVI32 is a free hex editor that can open files up to 2 gigabytes. With XVI32, you can view and edit ASCII files index files. The program lets you control two cursors simultaneously when you edit or view multiple tabs. You can control the text size, font, and color. On the interface, It lets you jump to a string, replace a code with a new one, and remove a string. XVI32 is compatible with Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7. The current release of the app came out on June 26, 2012.
- XVI32 is a portable and lightweight application.
- XVI32 can open files up to 2 GB.
- It can be used to edit ASCII files too.
- You can customize the UI.
- The search option lets you find a specific string.
iHex is another useful cross-platform hex editing tool. You can use them on Windows and Linux PCs. You can create a shortcut to access any files to edit them easily. The app lets you save the hex files in MB, Kb, GB, and Byte sizes. Moreover, iHex can combine as well as compare different hex files easily. Easily save and print out any hex codes. It is a free, innovative, and lightweight tool for your PC.
- It is free and lightweight software.
- It can compare as well as combine two hex files.
- You can copy-paste and edit data.
- It is supported on Windows and Linux OS.
- It can also edit binary files.
8. Catch22 HexEdit
Catch22 HexEdit is a free tool for viewing and editing Hex files. The WThishandy app allows you to edit, view, copy, cut, paste, and replace any hex file. But unlike other free hex editors, this one has a limit of 16 exabytes (1 Exabyte= 1e+18 Byte).
Additionally, Catch22 HexEdit is a decimal e, octal and binary editor. This handy software lets you edit, view, and work on multiple hex files simultaneously. On this open-source hex editor, you can bookmark and annotate within the hex editor display. It automatically saves bookmarks for future use.
- It can open files up to 16 exabytes.
- You can undo and redo unlimited times.
- It is an open-source hexadecimal editor.
- You can bookmark any string and use them in future projects.
wxHexEditor is a tremendous cross-platform hexadecimal editing tool that is available for free. The app is currently compatible with Windows, macOS, and Linux OS. You can easily open, view, and edit multiple hex files.
With wxHexEditor, you can open and edit multiple hex files individually. The interface can show hexadecimal symbols, offsets, and characters. With wxHexEditor, you can also search a string and change them easily.
- It is a cross-platform hex editing software.
- The app is available for free.
- It can replace any symbol from the string.
- The UI is simple and efficient.
10. Funduc Software – FS Hex Editor
FS Hex Editor is a free e, easy-to-use hex editing program. The app can handle multiple tabs simultaneously and lets you work on them. It supports not only Hex codes but also other codes too. Funduc Software – FS Hex Editor arranges different tabs in a cascade, making working on the codes much more accessible.
Funduc Software – FS Hex Editor s capable of translating UTF-8 codes. You can change the app’s interface or leave it as it is. You can also bookmark codes and strings on the app. Without a doubt, it is the best hex editor for Windows 10.
- It is capable of multi-file editing.
- You can insert files and codes into an existing file.
- You can bookmark your hex codes.
- It lets you search and replace codes.
- You can also control operators like AND, OR, NOR, and XOR.
Hexplorer is another best hex editor for Windows that is available for free. With HExplorer, you can open, edit, print, and save hex codes and files. It lets you import files like ASCII, ATMEL, Cosmos, SPASM, DEC, Binary, and more. It can control different logic gates too. With HeExploreryou can understand and control operators like- OR, NOR, AND, NAND, and XOR. You can also edit binary and decimal codes with this handy tool. It can encrypt and decrypt hex codes too.
- The tool is freeware.
- It can encrypt and decrypt data.
- You can open other types of files other than hexadecimal files.
- You can copy-paste a string of hex codes.
Cygnus is a competent software for editing and viewing hexadecimal codes on your Windows PC. The app lets you open hex files up to 2 GB in size for free. It can help you edit, replace, and remove codes in a hex file. Moreover, it can edit ASCII codes too.
Cygnus is a simple tool to operate. It can import and export files and let you edit them. You can edit and view multiple files at a time and compare them. Cygnus is compatible with all Windows OS. Cygnus is free software, but you can unlock additional features if you purchase the premium version.
- It is capable of fast and smooth operation.
- It has extensive drag-and-drop support.
- You can redo and undo your actions multiple times.
- It has a customizable taskbar.
Fred is another simple yet powerful hexadecimal file editor. The app makes typing and editing hex codes easy for you. You can also replace a string of codes from Frhed. It is a free tool that is very adaptive to your use. You can also import and export hex dump values.
FFredalso allows you to apply templates and bookmarks. Additionally, you can apply assignment operators like X-OR, OR, NOR, AND, NAND, etc.
- You can compare offset values in the app.
- The app is free to use.
- You can customize the UI.
- It can let you apply operators like AND, OR, NOR, etc.
- You can replace strings and codes.
TrueSight is a free hexadecimal editor for Windows and Linux OS. It is a simple tool with many useful features for editing hex codes. It can open and edit hex codes up to 18 exabytes. You can compare two or more hex files without any isissuesThEditingnd customizing any hex code is made easy with TrueSight.
TrueSight is a powerful tool for your hex coding task. It is a lightweight app and very easy to use. It comes with a simple-looking UI. The app is designed from the ground to be compatible with Linux and Windows PCs.
- It is free software.
- You can use the app to edit any hexadecimal sandal and decimal files.
- You can use TrueSight to compare two or more hex codes.
- The UI is clean and easy to understand.
15. MiTeC Hexadecimal Editor
MiTeC Hexadecimal Editor is an advanced hex editing software available for free. You can use it for editing, viewing, and comparing hexadecimal codes. It also supports octal and decimal symbols. You can compare two files on MiTeC Hexadecimal Editor. The software is lightweight and easy to use.
- It is a free tool that is compatible with Windows operating systems.
- It can open octal and decimal files too.
- The UI is clean and easy to use.
- It can convert files between EBCDIC, MAC, and ASCII.
- You can compare two files with MiTeC Hexadecimal Editor.
16. Tiny Hexer
Tiny Hexer is one of the best and most easy-to-use hexadecimal symbol editors for PCs. This freeware is capable of handling multiple tabs at a time. You can arrange them in cascade view for your convenience. It is easy to insert, remove, and replace any string from a file with Tiny Hexer.
You can also change the way the UI looks. You can save the codes and print them if you want. Additionally, you can use the bookmark option to bookmark a selected code with Tiny Hexer.
- You can open unlimited hex files no matter the size.
- It allows you to compare multiple hex files.
- You can change the look of the interface.
- It is compatible with Windows and Linux Pcs.
17. Java Hex Editor
Java Hex Editor is an excellent tool for editing hexadecimal files. It is free software like the other software on the list. It can detect hex and decimal codes easily and can open them. You can easily compare as well as replace hex codes from a file.
- Java Hex Editor is a cross-platform software.
- It has a simple UI, and the software is small in size.
- Java Hex Editor can analyze hex and decimal codes.
- You can compare two or more hexadecimal files in Java Hex Editor.
18. Tyrannosaurus Hex
Tyrannosaurus Hex is a useful free hex editing tool. Like the previous apps, it can compare multiple hex files. It can process large hex files efficiently. You can use it for your hex code editing.
- Tyrannosaurus Hex comes with multi-tab support.
- It is compatible with Windows and Linux OS.
- It displays a histogram on the interface.
- You can replace a string with a new one.
- The UI is fully customizable.
Hex-Ed is a browser-based online hex editing tool. You can use it to edit, view, and share hexadecimal files. It can edit other files as well. You will need an internet connection to use Hex-Ed. It is compatible with all operating systems. It is easy to use, and the performance is very smooth.
- It is an online hex editor.
- It is free to use.
- You can edit and analyze different codes on Hex-Ed.
LaLastlyCIHexViewer is the last hex editor on our list. It is a convenient editing tool that is free to use. It is a cross-platform app compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux OS. CIHexViewer supports multiple tabs as well as parallel searches.—great small convenient app for hexadecimal editing.
- The app is lightweight.
- CIHexViewer is easy to use.
- It supports parallel searches and comparison of files.
- It is a cross-platform software.
Hex editing tools are not something that everyone needs. But if you are a tech enthusiast, you might look for the best hex editors on the internet. We hope this article will help you find the correct app Comment down below which app is suitable for you. Share the list with your fellow tech lovers.