Most people acknowledge that Angelique is the first Otome game, which came out in Japan in 1994 by the “Super Famicom” and a team of only women. They made the game for pre-teen and younger teenage girls, but it became popular with older teens and women in their 15s, which was a surprise.
Not just in Asia but also in the West, Otome games have become more prevalent in recent years. Some game developers have already made English versions of their most popular games so that they can sell worldwide.
What are the Otome Game?
An Otome game also called a “maiden game,” is a story-based video game made for women. In most games, one of the goals besides the main idea or goal is for the female player or the main character and one of the male second-lead characters to fall in love. Usually, these games aim to get the desired partner to fall in love with the player character and start a relationship with them, but the requirements for a “good end” change from game to game.
Even though the stories of Otome games are very different, they usually have one main female character and several good-looking male characters of various types. Even though there are many characters whose “routes” can be followed, romance isn’t always the game’s primary focus.
The History of Otome Games
Angelique was the first Otome, which came out in Japan in 1994. After Angelique, Gimmick House and Magical Craft made the second Otome game, Albania no Otome, in 1997 for PC-FX and then for PlayStation. In the past, simulation games for girls like McKenzie & Co. (1995) by American Laser Games and Girls Club (1992) by Philips Interactive were made and sold in the US.
The PC visual novel Yo-Jin-Bo was the first Japanese Otome game officially translated into English and sold there in 2006. Since then, only a few games have come out every year. Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom is one of those games for the PSP and 3DS.
What is the minimum requirement to play Otome games?
To play Otome games well, you need to meet the minimum requirements. Most of the time, people suggest getting the newest and best CPU and GPU. But you don’t need them all the time. Different games require different kinds of hardware.
- For Android, it is recommended that you have a mid-range android phone. Android version 10 or higher is recommended.
- The base variant of the Nintendo switch is recommended.
- Lastly, if you are playing games on a PC, I will recommend at least having these requirements.
OS: Windows 8 or a later version. For better gameplay, you should use Windows 10.
Bit: You need a 64-bit operating system.
Chipset: Intel Core i5 or AMD Ryzen 5 or higher.
Graphics on the inside: Intel Iris or AMD Radeon 8.
External Graphics: You should have at least 2 GB of external graphics.
Ram: 4/8 GB.
When it is to storage, an SSD is always better than an HDD.
If you don’t have the right OS and requirements, the game will likely crash or not work, telling you that it can’t be run on your device.
The 15 best Otome games for Android, PC & Switch
There are a couple of Hundreds of Otome games on the market, but today we handpicked the 15 best games for you. You can Play these Otome games on any platform you like your PC, Android phone, or tab, and on Nintendo switch.
From this chart, we can see what the best Otome games are. Furthermore, games like Collar X have been introduced on all three platforms, which can be helpful for multi-device users.
1. Obey Me
Obey Me is an otome game (dating sim for girls) where you more or less try to romance the seven different devil boys who are also the anime’s main characters. Brothers Lucifer, Mammon, Leviathan, Satan, Asmodeus, Beelzebub, and Belphegor are some of the most powerful demons in the Devildom. They are officers on the student council at the Royal Academy of Diavolo. But because they are the personifications of the seven deadly sins, they often act up.
- The maker of the popular mobile otome game Obey Me, NTT Solmare, has confirmed that the game will be made into an anime. It has come out in 2021 summer of 2021.
- Me Diavolo is the most robust character of Obey Me.
- There are a total of 67 Chapters in this game.
Requirements for this game:
- 4 GB of RAM
- NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960 or higher
- DirectX: Version 12
- Storage: 5 GB available space
2. Ikamen Vampire
Ikemen Vampire: Temptation in the Dark is the latest hit otome game from CYBIRD’s Ikemen Series. This game is another romantic phenomenon that will keep you on the edge of your seat. You Get Lost in a mysterious, sweet, and exciting interactive romance novel where Mozart, Isaac Newton, and Shakespeare are all possible love interests. And the vampires will be out for your blood.
- The Ikeman vampire game was released on May 28th, 2018:
- There are 15 people you can fall in love with in the game, but only 11 are available right now.
- You can use 3 Keys to His Heart or 300 Magic Crystals to unlock his Side Story.
- Ikemen Vampire takes place in the years 1893–1899.
- This game has 25 chapters and one ending chapter.
3. Tears of Themis
Tears of Themis is a free adventure game made and released by miHoYo. This game is interesting because of its story, art, and romantic elements. The game is like a visual novel because the story’s main plot is less about romance and more about solving a mystery. You can also collect cards and make art by changing the cards you have already collected.
- The plot of Tears of Themis isn’t too complex and challenging.
- Some of the essential resources in Tears of Themis are S-Chips, which can be traded for other money.
- This game has a total of 4 episodes.
The main character of the game is:
- Pearce, Luke
- Artem Wing
- Vyn Richter
- Marius Von Hagen
4. Mystic Messenger
In Mystic Messenger, the player controls a female character whose name the player chooses. The main character, a woman, downloads a mysterious app that leads her to live in a closed, locked apartment owned by Rika, who started a charity group called Rika’s Fundraising Association or the Mint Eye HQ. She meets the rest of the RFA and is told to plan a party by asking people to come. In Another Story, Unknown tricks the main character into playing the game, takes you to Mint Eye, and keeps you with him. The main character can choose from 7 different paths, each with its history, and also finds out the truth about the RFA.
- Mystic Messenger is one of this new generation’s most popular dating simulation games.
- Start a new game of Mystic Messenger as early in the day as possible. You’ll miss much of the day’s content if you don’t.
- Every day, at least half of the people should take part.
- There are six possible love interests in Mystic Messenger.
- Each route of the story takes 11 days.
5. Hatoful Boyfriend
Hatoful Boyfriend is a participatory text-based visual novel with a branching plot. Depending on the player’s choices, the game can end in several ways. The name is a play on the wasei-Eigo word htofuru, which means “heartful,” and the Japanese word hato, which means “pigeon” or “dove.” Pigeons and other birds play a significant role in the game. The game takes place in a version of Earth where intelligent birds live. The main story follows the player character and protagonist, the only human at St. PigeoNation’s Institute, an elite bird school, as she falls in love with one of her bird friends.
- Hato means “heart” and “pigeon” in Japanese, so “Hatoful” is a play on words.
- The player takes on the role of a human girl named Hiyoko Tosaka, who goes to a bird school. She can end up with one of several different male characters.
- It will probably take about nine and a half hours to finish the game.
- The original game had 15 ways to end.
- The price of this game is $25.99.
6. Amnesia Memories
Amnesia is an otome game, and like most otome games, the player takes on the role of a female character who can choose her love interest from several male characters. The Amnesia: Memories was first released in August 2015 by Idea Factory. When you wake up, you don’t remember anything from before August 1st. Everything is blank, from the kind of life you led to the people you were close to. You will see a spirit in the form of a young boy named Orion. He tells you that he is attached to your mind. With Orion’s help, you start to fight to get your memories back.
- When playing Amnesia: Memories, it is suggested to play in this form, Club to Spade to Heart to Diamond to Diamond to Joker.
- This game has five series in total.
- It will probably take about 35 hours to finish the game 100%.
- The price of this game is $9.99 on steam.
7. Taisho X Alice
TAISHO x ALICE was released in 2019. It is a visual novel based on a fairy tale, and you must save your Prince Charming. At critical points in the story, you will be asked to make decisions that will lead to different endings. You will play the role of the fairytale heroine to help your chosen love interest change for the better and find your love. Each love interest has his own story in an alternate universe where the characters’ relationships differ.
- Taisho X Alice has gender-flipped characters.
- This game has four episodes in total.
- The run time of this is 10 hours.
- You can play this game both on PC and Switch.
8. Hakuoki: Kyoto Winds
Hakuoki: Kyoto Winds is a historical fantasy visual novel. You play as Chizuru, a young girl who wants to find her father in the chaos of Bakumatsu-era Kyoto. You can fall in love with the famous Shinsengumi samurai as you learn their dark secrets and face the mysteries of your past. In this text adventure, you can choose from different ways to tell the story and other paths that lead to 30 different endings.
- Hakuoki is one of the best visual novels.
- The run time of this game is 80 hours.
- There is an anime adaptation of this game.
- This game has more than 30 different ways to end.
- This game will cost you $9.99
9. Love Spell: Written in the Stars
“Love Spell: Written in the Stars” is a visual novel/otome game with a romantic comedy plot that you can play now. The game is the first project from Great Gretuski Studios, which was just started by and is run by women and is focused on making romantic and creative stories come to life.
- Love Spell: Written in the Stars has four different romantic routes.
- You can take the lead in the story with a custom name too.
- Each route has a particular chapter that tells the story from the point of view of your lover.
- This game has a run time of 10 hours.
- The game costs about $18.99 on steam.
10. Collar x Malice
Collar Malice is a visual novel video game made by Idea Factory and released under their Otomate brand. It follows Ichika Hoshino, a new police officer in Shinjuku, Tokyo. On the way home from work, she is attacked, and a collar with poison is put around her neck. After this, she gets involved with the “X-Day Incident,” a series of murders by a terrorist group called Adonis. Ichika is forced to look into the X-Day Incident with a group of former police officers, or he will die.
- It has a strong storyline and a group of interesting characters that add to the mystery.
- It can take 30 to 60 hours to play, which is longer than most otome games.
- The story is scary and dark, making the player feel like they must keep going.
- The cost of this game is $39.99 for the Switch.
There are five different main characters:
- Enomoto Mineo
- Sasazuka Takeru
- Okazaki Kei
- Shiraishi Kageyuki
- Yanagi Aiji.
Nightshade is A romance visual novel game made by D3P Otomebu and Red Entertainment. Ninjas who lived during the Sengoku Period are at the center of the love story. The story takes place in Japan shortly after the end of the Sengoku Period. You must follow the romances between the main character and the other main characters as they deal with their different loyalties. The story is made up, but some characters and events are based on real people and events, making the book interesting for people interested in Japanese history.
- Most likely, Nightshade is the best otome on the Switch.
- Nightshade has five main characters.
- This game has two endings. The ending movie and music change based on what the player chooses in the end.
- Nightshade has a game time of 30 hours.
- The cost of this game is $47.99
12. Doki Doki
The American independent game studio Team Salvato made Doki Doki Literature Club! in 2017. This game includes a scary place where poetry and love are everywhere. Write poems for your crush, and if you make a mistake along the way, erase it so that the ending is perfect. This game is one of the past ten years’ most popular psychological horror games. You play the main character, who joins the Literature Club against her will because she wants to meet someone to date. With every poem you write and your decision, you’ll get closer to your crush and start to see how lousy school romances can be.
- Doki Doki has six new Side Stories about friendship and literature.
- There are 100+ unlockable images, including new game art and wallpapers.
- Twenty-six total music tracks, including 13 all-new unlockable songs by Nikki Kaelar.
- A built-in DDLC music player can unwind with your favorite songs in a custom playlist.
- The price of this game is $14.99.
13. Kitty Love: Way to look for love
The Kitty Love: Way to look for love is an adventure-based Otome game released by Digimerce Inc in November 2018. The main character of this game is Honoka, who works at a flower shop, and has been busy with her job. When she usually goes to the park at night, she goes there one night. She can only turn into a cat at night because the black cat with funny eyes cursed her. There is only one way to break the curse. And that is, her true love needs to kiss her. The fascinating part of this game is the romance of humans by day and cats by night.
- Takahiro Sakurai is well-known in Japan.
- After the first prologue, players will follow one of the leading male roles on a path.
- By the end of the game, players will be so into the story that they won’t want it to end.
- The run time of this game is about 18 hours.
- The price of this game is $24.99.
Kitty Love’s voice actors are
- Soma Saito, Atsushi Tamaru
- Hiroki Yasumoto
- Tomoaki Maeno
LongStory is a cute and LGBTQ+-friendly dating sim that takes place at Weasel Heights Middle School. You can choose your pronouns and who or if you want to date any of your romantic friends. LongStory gives you the chance to find love as a middle school student, with all the awkwardness that comes with it. This game is famous and played by many users in the LGBTQ+ community.
- LongStory has a total number of 8 episodes.
- LongStory has a Run time of 5 hours.
- This game is available on both Steam and Switch.
- The price of this game is $14.99 on Switch and $3.49 on steam (Special Promotion)
15. Code: Realize – Guardian of Rebirth
Code: Realize – Guardian of Rebirth is an Otome visual novel by Otomate. It came out in Japan in 2014 and North America and Europe in 2015. The main character of this game is Cardia. She lives in a locked, abandoned mansion, away from the rest of the world. The purpose is to keep her promise to her father. Her body is full of a poison that kills anything it touches.
The locals call her a “monster” because of this. Her father tells her not to get close to people or fall in love, but then he leaves. One day, the Royal Guards come in to capture her and break up her peaceful time alone. Then she meets Arsène Lupin, a brave thief who helps her escape from the Royal Guards. Then, Cardia goes on a trip with Lupin and his friends to find her father. Finally, she finds out how to get rid of the poison in her body.
- Code: Realize Guardian of Rebirth is an otome game, which is a dating sim for girls.
- Code: Realize game is based on an Otome visual novel.
- Future Blessing is a follow-up to Guardian of Rebirth, which appeared on Switch earlier this year.
- The run time of this game is 30 hours.
- The cost of this game is $39.99.
The Number of Otome Games Published in recent years
Otome games are popular nowadays, but the number of total games released yearly is still low compared to the other genre of games.
This chart shows that the Ostomate studio has released the most significant number of games in recent years. And among them, the “Amnesia” series and the “Collar X Malice” are the most famous.
The number of the genre of games is increasing day by day. The Otome game genre is pretty different from others and getting much recognition recently. These games had taken role-playing to another level. There are hundreds of otome games, so we can’t have played all of them. If your favorite game is not in this article, share it with us via comment. We will be checking them out.