The screen capture software, which is functional in the Windows operating system, is a screen recorder. The screen recorder turns your output screen into a video with audio and provides it as your desired video format. It can capture your screen to make a video with annotation, sound effects, and audio narration. It is suitable for making video tutorials, viewing movies from live streaming, and shorter recordings for your academic, office, and homework solutions. In my previous article, I discussed how to share screens online, but we will try to show all the renowned free screen recorders for Windows, Mac OS, and Linux in today’s discussion.
Best 21 Free Screen Recorder for Windows
Screen recording is highly effective for making any video tutorial, PowerPoint presentation reference, home and office work. In my previous article, I discussed the best free screen Apps for Android, but today, I will only discuss computers.
1. AWZ Screen Recorder
The first choice on our list is AWZ Screen Recorder. With this screen recording software, the gamer can easily record all the 2D/3D Games and highlights. It is highly effective for making presentations and documentaries. Seamlessly, you can share your creations on TikTok, YouTube, and Vimeo. Moreover, it offers a one-stop recording service with a video editor.
AWZ Screen Recorder is a Versatile Screen Recorder for Windows. It offers multiple recording modes. It provides high-resolution screen recording facilities. The user can track all the details. Moreover, you can blur the background during web meetings.
- AWZ Screen Recorder is a dedicated screen and audio recorder for narrators or voiceover artists.
- It can grab a microphone and speaker voice to avoid noise during recording.
- You can take screenshots effortlessly and save them in image format.
- You can record streaming videos and gameplay with this video recorder.
- It has a free and pro version for Windows and Mac users.
- Some other features are full-screen recording, custom recording, auto-region recording, schedule recording, and basic video recording.
Camtasia is a screen recorder and video editor for Windows OS. It makes recording and creating high-quality, professional-looking videos on Mac and Windows simple. This software offers tutorials, demos, training videos, and screen recording facilities. Camtasia is easy learning software that does not require any particular skill to record and edit videos. You will feel confident in adding all the video effects. It doesn’t matter whether you are a first-time video maker or not. After recording with Camtasia, you will feel like a professional to create high-quality videos.
A video is more than helpful to text. You can engage your audience by making a video with a Camtasia screen recorder. Camtasia is a costly software for Windows and Mac. But if you purchased it once, you can upgrade to the latest version with a minimum amount of money since the program cannot use the free version for 30 days. Camtasia supports many video formats like MP4, AVI, WMV, MP3, MPEG, WAV, WMA, and MTS. Camtasia Can capture live-streaming video. It offers many tools to record live-streaming videos. If you want to record longer-type videos, the editing tool of Camtasia recording software will be helpful for you.
- Camtasia allows you to record your Windows screen, like PowerPoint presentations, software, video calls, and websites.
- You can integrate a webcam with this video recording software to add a personal touch.
- This screen capture software allows adding annotations and titles to its videos.You can add Zoom In, Zoom Out,t, and pan animation to your recording.
- To improve the flow of your video, you can add a transition between screen and video.
- Camtasia screen recording software allows you to record your presentation and import images.
- This screen recorder supports Windows 7 or later. It requires a 2.0 GHz dual-core processor, 4 GB RAM, and a minimum 2 GB free hard disk.
3. Bandicam Screen Recorder
Bandicam is a screen capture software for recording screens that Bandicam Company developed. It has three modes: screen recording, game recording, and device recording. Screen recording allows you to record any portion of the screen, game, and your computer’s webcam. The free version of this software is free for up to 10 minutes, and it provides a watermark on its video. The created video can be saved in AVI and MP4 format. It works with a high-compression video without losing quality. This Screen Recorder for PC supports all the versions of Windows, including multiple languages.
If you want to meet the best screen recording software for any occasion, choose Bandicam Screen Recorder. This lightweight screen capture software for Windows can capture anything you require. You can capture the game using the OpenGL/DirectX/Vulkan graphics technologies. It helps you record your screen with high-quality compression. Bandicam Screen Recorder claims it provides far better performance than its competitor. This best screen recorder allows 2D/3D games with 4k UHD video, capturing up to 144FPS. This free screen video recorder can capture Skype calls, YouTube videos, PowerPoint, iTunes, and webinars.
- Bandicam Screen Recorder lets you draw and outline your video or screenshot in real time.
- It can add a webcam overlay once you are capturing the screen.
- This software can record on a scheduled basis, like a daily or hourly schedule.
- You can record your voice and system audio simultaneously, and you will be able to mix it.
- It allows adding mouse effects and animation while recording.
- You can record games, tutorials, and PowerPoint presentations.
- After installation, it provides hotkeys like pressing f11 or clicking the Camera Icon to get started in rectangular form.
CamStudio is an open-source screen recording software of Render Soft, which started its journey in 2001. But in 2002, the source code license was converted into GNU General Public License. Since then, the source code has been available at SourceForge. It is a free desktop recorder and streaming recorder software that produces high-quality video. CamStudio is capable of recording video and audio, which is industry standard. It produces an AVI file format using built-in SWF to provide lean, mean, and bandwidth-friendly streaming video. If you want to create any demonstration video, use this free screen recording software for Windows OS.
CamStudio screen recorder is entirely secure software. There is no possibility of threats like Trojan, bookworm, malware, or any other virus. Even Norton recommended installing it as a safe program. Since it was released under GPL, the CamStudio recording software has been freeware for both personal and commercial use. No royalty options exist for making any movie so that you can use this screen video recorder without hesitation. Using this software, you can capture the whole portion of your computer screen or select any portion of your Window. You can add the system voice; if you want, there is an opportunity to add your voice.
- CamStudio screen recorder can record your screen and audio and output it to AVI files.
- It can convert the AVI into a flash for video streaming.
- It highlights the cursor path and has an automatic pan facility.
- You can add text and annotation to your video.
- If you don’t like your voice, then no problem because you can add a voice from an external source.
- In CamStudio, there are various options to produce the quality of the video. You may create high-quality for Burning to CD or small size to email your friends.
ShareX is one of the best Screen Recorders for Windows OS to capture screens and share files. It is a free and open-source productivity tool to record the desktop and one of the best utilities for Microsoft Windows. This project’s source code is hosted on GitHub and published under GNU General Public License. Besides the official website of this software, it is also available on Steam and Windows Store. ShareX can capture partial or complete screenshots, such as full Windows or retrained capture. After the screenshot, you can save it in a local drive, attach it as an email, share it on your social media, and upload it to a remote host.
The ShareX project started in 2007, and the source code moved to Google code in 2008. Out of the most notable Windows apps, ShareX is one of the prominent open-source applications. It would be best to run the screen recording software to capture the screen on Windows. Now go to Task Setting, then Capture, then Screen Recorder, and finally, Screen Recording Options. When you record the screen, you may find that the sound is muted during video capture. You must select the sound option to ensure the sound of the video.
- ShareX has several capture methods like Full screen, Active Window, Active monitor, Window menu, Monitor menu, and Region.
- It also can capture Custom regions, Screen recording, Screen recording (GIF), Scrolling capture, Webpage capture, Text capture (OCR), and Auto capture.
- ShareX can upload an image, and after uploading, it can shorten the URL, share the URL, and open the URL.
- It can upload images to Imgur, ImageShack, TinyPic, Flickr, Photobucket, Google Photos, and Twitter.
- Besides the image, it can upload text and different files.
- This screen capture software is highly customizable.
- Webpage capture and scrolling capture
- Image annotation and adding a Watermark to the image
6. ScreenFlow – Mac
ScreenFlow is one of Mac OS’s best screen recording, Screencasting, and video editing software. It can capture video with audio and edit it as per your requirements. After adding different subtitles and annotations, you can export the output per your desired format. It supports different file formats like MOV, MP4, AIFF, GIF, etc. Version 5 of ScreenFlow can capture your desktop from connected iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. Version 6, released in 2016, you can directly purchase from Mac App Store or Telestream. Versions 7 and 8 have many other features that can fascinate you.
ScreenFlow is a winner of MacWorld.The most personal and commercial users choose it. When people switch to Windows from Mac, they search ScreenFlow for Windows, but this software supports only Mac OS. You can easily create a stunning video with ScreenFlow. It has professional editing features besides capturing video. ScreenFlow is premium software with three types of pricing: ScreenFlow, ScreenFlow SUperPack, ScreenFlow Super Pack + Premium support. You also can add media from the library with some money.
- You can revise your recording with its easy-to-use video.
- You will get instant access to its library.
- It provides telephone support to its clients.
- Besides the screen recording software of Mac, it also supports iOS and iPhone to record video.
- Its powerful video editing tools are easy to learn and easy to use.
- It has better tools for software tutorials.
- Streamlined media management and closed caption support.
- MP4 encoding, Animated GI, F, and Animated PNG.
- ScreenFlow is mainly for Mac OS.
- You can add any sound effect to your video.
Fraps is a real-time screen capture software, a Windows application used to capture the game. You can take a screenshot by pressing a key. Fraps allow recording real-time video and games. Besides screen recording, it is one of the best benchmarking software for Windows PCs to test your CPU performance.
If you are a real game player, you can record your favorite game using this screen-capturing software for Windows OS. All movies of Fraps produce outstanding quality. It can be captured from OpenGL and DirectX software, such as PC games.
Fraps is a desktop recording software. It is limited to recording video games. To enable screen recording in Fraps, you need to Open Fraps, go to “General Tab,” and check “Monitor Aero desktop.” Finally, start video capturing with a dedicated hotkey.
- Fraps provide high-quality video.
- Besides, video Fraps can capture your screen in the desired format.
- It is benchmarking software, so it is two in one.
- It is all in one, like benchmarking tools, screen capture, and screen recording software.
SmartPixel is a free screen recording software as well as recording software. You want to produce high-quality professional 1080p video, you can use this free screen video recorder. This software lets you make HD videos, tutorials, games, webcam videos, and many more. Beyond Magic developed this screen recording software. The recording tool and other features are easy to access. The SmartPixel adds some extra facilities to the free version. When you launch the pro version, you will see the three options: editor, recorder, and webcam; you can create and edit the video into various formats and upload it to YouTube.
Despite providing screen recording facilities, this software can clip, merge, and split your video in a few minutes. You can effectively enter subtitles, filters, background music, audio clips, and dubbing your videos. Once your video is completed, you can export it into a different format.
SmartPixel is a free version of Beyond Play Limited. In this free version, there are some limitations. It doesn’t have any ability to zoom in and pan certain screen parts to highlight your audience. Additionally, there is no way to adjust your recorded audio. To recover the limitation, we strongly recommend using GoPlay premium software.
- SmartPixel can record high-quality videos on your screen.
- You can upload videos directly to YouTube.
- There are options to add annotation and live commentary to your video.
- It requires many resources and sometimes gets crushed during video recording.
- It offers full screen as well as PIP mode to record screen
- You can set the brightness, quality, resolution, and frame rates in the recode setting panel.
- It consumes a smaller amount of the processor to provide a high video speed. On the other hand, it compresses the video, so it uses less disk space.
- This software supports the Windows operating system.
9. BB FlashBack
BB FlashBack is a product of Blueberry software. It allows you to make engaging tutorials with simple and powerful software. BB FlashBack is a Windows-based screen recording software recently renamed FlashBack. It allows you to edit mouse movements, add text effects, and add movie clips. The recording video is saved in the proprietary format, open, and edited with any video editor. After editing, you can export it into AVI, Flash, and many other formats. This freeware screen recorder for Windows OS was released in 2009.
BB FlashBack supports multiple languages. It can enlarge any part of the movie and has a recording facility with password protection. It can record your screen with high sound quality and integrate it with a webcam. The pro recording tool can enhance the video and make a fantastic presentation. Moreover, you can share the video and export it into any format.
This screen-capturing software can help you in online presentations, at home, in the office, and in education. It allows adding start and end titles within a second. This recording software auto-tracks the mouse to keep the action in view. To control the movie playback, you can also add an interactive button.
- BB FlashBack allows saving interactive movies to Flash.
- You can add callouts, text, image and sound, blur effects, etc.
- It allows us to sync the audio with video and edit the audio track side-by-side.
- The robust screen recording features include recording a window or region, recording audio from mic/speakers, scheduling a recording, recording multiple monitors, high-performance recording, and uploading to a monitor.
- The team license option of this software prevents buying multiple software for an organization.
- BB FlashBack allows the beginner to start step by step with the user guide.
Though we are discussing screen recording software for Windows, we also love our Linux user readers. recordMyDesktop is one of the best screen-capturing software for the Linux operating system. It captures audio-video data of Linux desktops. Moreover, this standalone program captures your screen in real-time. It is highly effective for making online training video tutorials.
Using Ubuntu, you can install recordMyDesktop from the command line using the command “Sudo apt-get install recordmydesktop gtk-recordmydesktop.” Still, if you use Fedora, the command will be “Sudo yum install gtk-recordmydesktop.” You also can install it by searching for software.
- recordMyDesktop is free and open-source software.
- It operates on the Linux operating system.
- It performs in both the command line and the graphical interface.
- The front end of recordMyDesktop is written in Python with pyGtk (gtk-recordMyDesktop) and pyQt4 (qt-recordMyDesktop).
- It has been providing services since 2008.
GoPlay is a premium and easy-to-use screen recording software. You can capture and record any portion of the screen of your computer. Moreover, you can customize your screen recording according to your choice. So, you can add your webcam as a face cam for gaming, and it supports Picture framing. GoPlay allows you to add your voice during recording. It is the perfect software for recording fast-paced games up to 60 fps. This software is the number one choice for Toptenreviews, Softonic, and Softpedia. Using this software, you can create amazing videos with powerful features like trim, edit, transition, filter, and effect.
The premium software GoPlay allows quick video editing and stunning video effects. You can add advanced video editing features like a professional video editor. You can export and share it with your customized social media with a single click. This software allows adding captions directly. So the user interaction will be easier for you. You can easily upload the caption files and sync captions quickly. You may download and utilize the powerful software to record your screen. This screen recording software is convenient for the Windows operating system.
- Besides the Windows application, Android and iOS apps are among the best Screen Recording Apps for Android.
- It is a powerful screen, webcam, and gameplay recording application.
- You can add subtitles or captions directly to your video.
- You need not be professional to do basic editing and mixing audio.
- It allows you to add different music and text. It also removes your nose.
- In any video, you can include any picture and video.
- It allows for creating video stories within a minute.
- It can take a rich effect store to make you more creative.
12. Chris PC Screen Recorder
ChrisPC Screen Recorder is one of the most popular and perfect toolbox software to record high-quality videos with excellent options. It can make your day-to-day life more professional and more accessible. Moreover, you can record video tutorials for your friends and family.
The operating features of ChrisPC Screen Recorder are so easy that you need not be any technical professional. With the pro version, you can add text, pictures, and watermarks to the video. But there are hotkeys for both free and pro versions to customize your screen-capturing options. To install this screen-capturing software, you need a 1000 MHz processor or higher, 1 GB RAM, a reliable internet connection, and 100 MB of HDD space.
- With a single click, you can record MP4 format videos.
- You can record the screen in three modes: the lime ability to full screen, selected Region, and application windows.
- With your optimum recording capabilities, you can get the maximum quality.
- Preview and edit capability after recording.
- The facility of a Skinnable interface
- You can configure it with a fast hotkey.
- You can encode audio to AAC or MP3 codecs.
CaptureWizPro is another screen recorder for Windows 10 operating systems. It can capture anything you can see and hear on your computer screen. It can capture tricky areas like Metro apps, drop-down lists, tooltips, large scrolling areas, mouse pointers, and screensavers. The new version of CaptureWizPro is compatible with the touch screen beside Windows 10.
CaptureWizPro will make your capturing procedure very easy within 5 seconds. Select the tool, the portion you need to record, and the output type to save time and effort. It will enable anyone to capture whatever is on the screen and share it with others. You can make the perfect copies of anything, so it is regarded as digital scissors.
- CaptureWizPro is a fast and handy tool.
- It is a simple tool visible to any background.
- Captured files produce increment numbers.
- Advanced users will like it because of its customizable features.
- Though CaptureWizPro is not a free screen recorder, you can use it for free for a limited period.
14. Icecream Screen Recorder
Icecream screen recorder is one of the best screen capture software for Windows. It would be best to use the Icecream Screen Recorder, an easy-to-use screen recording software. With the help of this Windows recording software, you can record games, webinars, video tutorials, Skype, and live streaming videos. It is one of the best tools for cloud gaming lovers. So, if you want hassle-free recording software, you must have it.
Icecream Screen Recorder is elementary but powerful. You can record the entire screen and any portion of the selected range. Besides recording audio, you can add text, annotate, and animate the video. You must follow the recording rules even if you want to record 3D games.
- You can trim the unnecessary part of your recorded video from the beginning or end.
- As for the setting, you can disable the screen saver and hide the desktop icon of the cursor.
- It allows you to change the volume of your sound according to your requirements.
- You can convert the video format as required.
- It shows the hotkeys during recording.
- Icecream Screen Recorder can record multiple records on a scheduled basis.
15. Free Cam
Free Cam is one of the most popular free tools for casting screencasts. Without any watermark or time limit, you can capture, create, and record videos to upload to YouTube. To prepare professional video and e-learning tutorials, Free Cam Can is the best example of free screen-capturing software. Using this screen recording software, you can record the entire screen, any portion, or even any specific Window.
Free Cam supports recording video with voice. So, making video tutorials becomes much more accessible than other free screen recorder software. You must highlight and make mouse-click sounds to highlight more critical steps. It will make a professional look. Using the built-in audio-video editor, you can fine-tune your video. There are also options to remove background noise to polish your audio quality.
- Free Cam provides a complete set of free tools to record and edit a professional-quality video.
- To make the video more informative, you can add your voice.
- There are also options to record system sounds and background music.
- To make it more professional, you can cut any portion, add audio tracks, remove background noise, and many more.
- You can save this video in various formats and share it with social media easily.
16. OBS Project
OBS Project is a fantastic video screen-capturing software for Linux, Mac, and Windows-based operating systems. This video-capturing and mixing software has a high-performance output. It allows capturing videos, images, cards, browsers, and many more items. For custom capturing, you can set multiple screens for the transaction. The YouTube video shows how to download OBS Studio for free.
The configuration of the OBS Project is straightforward because everything is user-friendly. You can add different kinds of sources, which also can be appropriately adjusted. It supports capturing live streaming recordings. Since the OBS Project is a great video recorder and editor, you can add a video effect as a professional one. If you want to record Gloud Games, use this recording software.
Ezvid has been one of my favorite screen-capturing software since 2009. It is a Los Angeles-based media and software company. Only for the users, Ezvid Wiki has grown from a small user-generated forum into enormous, unbiased, and actionable guidance worldwide. Ezvid Wiki Maker is one of its popular online tools for making video wikis for Ezvid Wiki.
Millions of users use Ezvid Windows screen-capturing software with excellent editing facilities to create video tutorials for Facebook, YouTube, and other purposes. It is effortless to use, so you will become an expert as soon as possible. You can record the screen for up to 45 minutes.
- Ezvid supports Windows Vista or any other later version of Windows.
- It also supports 64-bit Windows.
- You can add your music and voice to the video.
- You can also capture the recording controller.
- Within 30 days of downloading this Windows-capturing software, this is entirely free of cost.
18. ScreenHunter Pro
The final one of my screen recording software reviews is ScreenHunter Pro. If you think of some in-one video recording software, then ScreenHunter Pro may become your priority list. This software is fully compatible with Windows 10 operating systems. The user interface of this software is unique and responsive. The new ScreenHunter Pro 7 will help you capture unlimited videos in MP4 format.
The ScreenHunter Pro is a leading screen recording software with great user reviews. ScreenHunter Pro can capture images up to 8k and record video up to 4k quality with a 100 fps frame rate. With DirectX, it can prepare a professional-quality video. It can automatically scroll the screen so you will feel a unique dimension of video capturing. Anytime you capture video, you can use the webcam to create a nice intro. You will enjoy recording Vortex Cloud Gaming using this video-capturing software.
TinyTake is one of my favorite Windows screen-capturing programs to capture and record video from the computer screen. MangoApps, suitable for Microsoft Windows and Mac, power this free screen recorder. With this free screen capture and video recording software, you can capture images and videos from your computer screen and share them with your friends within a minute. You also can annotate the captured video according to your wish.
TinyTake allows you to capture up to 120 minutes from what you can see on your computer screen. It provides publishing facilities with an easily shareable link and reference to your history. You can capture the screen by region, window, screen, and even images from a webcam.
- TinyTake has an accessible proxy server.
- You can easily add a customized hotkey.
- It is easy to share stored video links.
- You can record videos for up to 120 minutes.
- You can capture the portion of the screen, Window, and the entire screen.
HyperCam™ is one of the most prominent video-recapturing application software you may like to recapture any telecast movies, plays, dramas, games, etc. This screencap software AVI format outputs directly to your monitor so that you may have fun. Using HyperCam™, you can add text annotation, sound, and screen notes to give it a professional look. Before capturing the video, you can select the frame rate and compression quality.
This free Windows capturing software is compatible with all the versions of the Windows operating system for both 32 and 64-bit. On the website, there are a lot of frequently asked questions and some eventualities for any bug. So you will be an expert by yourself using this software. You can try this software if you’re a gamer of cloud gaming services.
PicPick is one of the best screen-capturing software for Windows operating systems. It is an all-in-all design tool for everyone: an image editor, a color pallet, a protector, and a whiteboard marker.
PicPick allows you to take screenshots of the entire screen from active Windows, scrolling Windows, and any portion, whatever you like. You can annotate and highlight the captured image, text, arrow, and shape. You can easily add effects to your captured video and image with shadow, frame, and watermark. Finally, you can share your creations on social media through this software.
If you want to capture Scrolling Windows with PicPick, press Ctrl + Alt together. Now you have to press Print Screen. With the highlighted red box, it will pop up on the screen. Press and hold the left click, drag the mouse on scrolling Windows, and finally release the left click. If you release the mouse click, your entire Windows will be captured.
Windows 10 Game Mode: Record Screen Without Software Installation
If you want to capture images and videos without installing any software, you must use the Windows 10 operating system. Because by pressing only Windows Key + G, you will get the recording interface. It is a built-in feature of Windows. You may read “Windows 10 Game Mode: What You Should Know? to know details”.
This discussion regarding free screen recorders for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS is not the end. There are many screen recording software that I could not discuss because of the lack of time. It would be an injustice to some of the screen video recorders if I did not mention their names, which are mentioned below:
- Icecream Screen Recorder
- iSpring Free Cam
- Ashampoo Snap
- FullShot Pro
- SPX Instant Screen Capture
- Any Screen Capture 3.5
- Easy Screen Capture
- VLC Player
- Show more
- DVDVideoSoft’s Free Screen Video Recorder
If you ask me which video recording software is the best, it would be difficult for me to use all of those and judge the best one. However, Camtasia, CamStudio, ShareX, Fraps, and GoPlay seem like the best free screen recorders. If you use any of those, please comment with us about your experience. You can share it for your preservation for further help.